what leather for a watch strap

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Folks,
i've just bought myself a nice diver (a stein hart ocean 1) and want to make a nice leather bunded strap for it. i have some 4mm veg tan lying around but wondered what others thought would be a good leather that is hard wearing.
also, any hints anybody else may have on making one would be appreciatd.
Cheers
Baggins

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I did have a look at making one a long time ago, and if memory serves it's a bit more complicated than it appears at first sight. One of the problems was that a nice piece of thick leather is impossible to fit the small buckles and keepers required to be comfortable on a wrist; All the good quality leather straps I looked at were laminated and the fittings were fixed in various ways between folded and stitched layers; it seemed to me that it's very small and fiddly work and I couldn't get it to look neat and acceptable. The only one piece straps I came across were synthetic, like the NATO straps.

I bet somebody will be along who has indeed made one satisfactorily, and I'll be kicking myself for not having worked it out for myself :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Folks,
i've just bought myself a nice diver (a stein hart ocean 1) and want to make a nice leather bunded strap for it.....

The first thing that came into my mind was; Is it really a good idea to have a leather band on a diving watch?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Funnily enough just done a watch strap replacement
vu4une2a.jpg

I used 2 strips of thin leather to make the straps and an slightly thicker piece for the pad under the watch

Orric

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Nicw job there Orric. Santaman, i hear you, however, i'm not actually buying it to go diving. i currently wear a vostok with a leather bunded strap and just really like the look (vain i'm sure). it's more of a leather work challenge as, as Macaroon has already said< they aren't as simple to make as they look.
was just after any advice others may have.
Cheers
Baggins

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nicw job there Orric. Santaman, i hear you, however, i'm not actually buying it to go diving. i currently wear a vostok with a leather bunded strap and just really like the look (vain i'm sure). it's more of a leather work challenge as, as Macaroon has already said< they aren't as simple to make as they look.
was just after any advice others may have.
Cheers
Baggins

LOL. I've been guilty of the same sort of thing, though not with this particular item. Best of luck getting the advice here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE