What kind of foods do you take into the wild?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
I'm sure most of us do not depend solely on food that is specifically marketed towards backpackers so I'm curious about everyone's food prep.

Generally I make sure I have a few packets of Batchelors Pasta 'n' Sauce in the house for those spontaneous nights out.

Dolmio's packets of 'shells and twists' along with the sauces are great but a little heavier and more expensive.

To satisfy my sweet tooth, particularly on those colder nights, a packet of Birds instant custard and a handful of dried fruit really brightens up any bone chilling Scottish eve.

Then of course there is CHORIZO, the duct tape of cuisine. It lasts forever and tastes great with anything (custad excluded.)

So... what do you guys take?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
generally i just grab whatever's in the fridge, or if i'm feeling especially organised i'll take a home-made boil in the bag chilli/curry and some boil in the bag rice. failing both of those it's a quick stop off at the first petrol station i pass for pot noodles and mars bars.

there's pretty much always a plastic container in my bag with noodles, rice, chocolate, biscuits, cereal bars, it's got around about 3000kcalories and weighs about 850grams. it's mainly for when i've completely neglected to take any other food with me (a really regular occurence), but when i'm walking somewhere this plastic box and it's contents make up my "emergency rations".

camp cooking for me varies enormously, overnight on my own being one extreme; i'll probably not bother with anything at all really, just a bit of something out of my "emergency rations" for breakfast to give me a little energy/motivation boost before i get on with the day. at the other extreme i might be out at a fixed camp for a week with a group of mates in which case food becomes a big part of the camp so dutch ovens/griddles/petrol stoves/big kettles/cool boxes etc. etc. make more or less anything that i can cook at home a possibility at camp

stuart

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
For walking I always make fruit & nut flapjack, take plenty of fruit & of course the greatest of survival foods an 'Andrew Jones' Pork Pies! If I'm multi day tripping then I take some dry pasta & freeze some home-made sauces in vac bags to take as a hot meal in the evenings, oats & milk for porridge @ breakfast.
For camping so no weight issues you can't beat protein fest BBQ's, sausages, home-made burgers, chicken thighs, legs of lamb, steaks or kebabs, accompany with nice salads & tabouleh! MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
For walking I always make fruit & nut flapjack, take plenty of fruit & of course the greatest of survival foods an 'Andrew Jones' Pork Pies! If I'm multi day tripping then I take some dry pasta & freeze some home-made sauces in vac bags to take as a hot meal in the evenings, oats & milk for porridge @ breakfast.
For camping so no weight issues you can't beat protein fest BBQ's, sausages, home-made burgers, chicken thighs, legs of lamb, steaks or kebabs, accompany with nice salads & tabouleh! MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I am SO hungry now...

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I like meals what go with rice a lot. cook nearly anything you can cook at home when out.
I stay away from those backpacking foods.
I got a good picture of someone who really does not like ul food, better not put it up, dont want to upset the moaners lol.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Take with me some pitta breads, Chrizeo, some of them cuppa pasta things, and of course single smoked cheese.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
porridge oats,

rice,

dried potato flakes,

peperamis,...

stock cubes

spices

Always packed and capable of two nights without thinking about it,,..

as others have said tho,...with a little planning i take a couple of chops and a bit of veg for a stew.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Always take a bag of instant porridge mix (inst. oats, sugar, milkpowder) and a sachet of Cadburys drinking chocolate for every day I'm going to be out.

More instant oats, noods, smash , occasionally rice,
and cheese, fresh onion, chorizo or Lidl mini salami, cup-a-soups, tinsofish.

Sweet flapjack & cheese flapjack.

Lots of fresh coffee (Taylors Hot Lava Java) & sugar.

Cheese & onion porridge is wonderful. tongue_2.gif

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Finely chop (smaller the better - quicker it cooks) half a med. onion and put it in pot with half-a-pint of cold water.

At this stage add anything else which seems like a good idea; any or all finely chopped(garlic, pepper (capsicum), pinch of salt, salami, chorizo, etc.)

Put on medium-high heat and bring to boil.

When nearly boiling, add 2 oz cheese, finely diced ( I like red cheese for cooking; red leicester or double gloucester, but the choice is yours)

When the water is boilng merrily & the cheese is melted, take off the heat and stir in 2oz instant oats (ReadyBrek or similar)

Stir very well until all the liquid is absorbed and there's no dry bits in the cereal.

Be careful - it will stay too hot to eat for longer than you think.

If there's any leftovers, it can go in w/ the brekky fry-up, or in a butty, or just eat it as is.

Last edited:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
When walking generally boil in the bag, they're warm, quick and mess free. I have a dehydrator and have been meaning to make my own dehydrated meals but haven't got around to it yet.

When static camping with a fire usually chilli, roast leg of lamb and veg (in a Dutch oven), bacon and sausage butties, home made pasties warmed up on a hot rock and other such lovely things.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bread, or materials to make bread. Butter, duck fat, goose fat or olive oil depending on the season.

Dried sausage or ham.

Pasta.

Fruits.

Oatcakes.

I also like the Oat So Simple single serving breakfast pouches, but usually I just take some home made muesli and milk powder.

:)

Last edited:
oats
dried fruit - mainly raisins/sultanas, apricots and dates as they go well in savoury and sweet
flapjacks - home made with honey and sulatnas
nuts - almonds and walnuts mostly
chorizo or saucisson whole sausages
bread
olive oil
onion
cous cous
chicken stock cube
chopped tomatoes
pasta
herbs and spices (rosemary and oregano and cajun or harrisa spice mixes)
sugar - cant do tomato sauce without brown sugar
assorted mini jam and honey packs to throw in the breakfast porridge or on toast

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Sometimes I go really simple and just take a lump of cheese, some nice bread and a bit of gammon and an apple for a day out(read a lot of Enid Blyton as a kid!). At other times it could be any easy prepare meal cooked in my pot on a meths stove.

Steve.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I make up own one-day rat packs in a zip-lock bag. Two instant coffee sachets for breakfast; ready-mixed porridge oats + milk powder +brown sugar to be eaten as muesli or porridge if fuel permits; two muesli bars or home made flapjack; bonbel mini cheeses (don't like them but they keep)+ oatmeal biscuits; cous cous or noodles because they only need hot water to cook; two green tea bags or rooibos tea bags, because they taste OK without milk; two mini chorizo;small packets of black pepper pinched from motorway cafe; one small packet of tissues. I take as many as trip days. Always in pack: one back up wayfarer meal (not tempted to eat except in emergency); small phials of honey, olive oil, marmite; small flask of scotch or brandy. I used to carry gorp but it used to sit in my pack for ever and just got topped up. I discovered when walking the Cotswold Way that nuts go off and give you terrible runs. This was very inconvenient on a path so near civilisation- at least in the wilds you can find somewhere to deal with it without some passer by commenting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE