What is the ideal possible pouch

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Ian atkinson, has started a thread on BB, about what would be the ideal possible pouch, and has got me thinking, i also had this very conversation at the north wood meet with a few members, last week end, with martyn(k9) and a few others, he has a possible pouch wich i find is about the perfect size.
so would love to hear you opinions on this, as I'm finding it fascinating.
take care.
lee.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh - its about features not size. Nothing to wear out (no poppers, no sam browne studs), must be able to be opened and closed one handed, must hang on long loops below Bergan belt height so you don't have to keep taking it off.

This is my old and loved one that meets those criteria

3 Closed by British Red, on Flickr

This is my new one - made for me by a kind member here - same principle though

New Front by British Red, on Flickr

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Ahhh - its about features not size. Nothing to wear out (no poppers, no sam browne studs), must be able to be opened and closed one handed, must hang on long loops below Bergan belt height so you don't have to keep taking it off.

This is my old and loved one that meets those criteria

3 Closed by British Red, on Flickr

This is my new one - made for me by a kind member here - same principle though

Thanks red, keep your thoughts coming lads.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...This is my new one - made for me by a kind member here - same principle though

Lovely work, I don't suppose you would be willing to post a list of all that you keep in there would you? :)

I prefer a smaller pouch and use a shoulder bag to carry my larger bits and bobs...

woodlore_prototype_pouch_03.jpg

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My gas mask bag is falling apart - need to find a suitable replacement but have to be careful it doesn't look like a handbag

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Here's mine, a Rancid Badger Pouch 2008:

pc300012w.jpg
pc300013d.jpg

pc300015.jpg
pc300016f.jpg

From the original sales thread:

3.5mm veg tan, hand sewn with 70lb artificial sinew and dyed dark brown.

It has "floating" d rings for detachable loops if required and a solid brass keeper loop, rather than a leather loop, for the closure strap.

Dimensions are: apx 5" x 6" x 1 1/2" front to rear.

Still going strong. :)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Here's mine, a Rancid Badger Pouch 2008:

pc300012w.jpg
pc300013d.jpg

pc300015.jpg
pc300016f.jpg

From the original sales thread:

3.5mm veg tan, hand sewn with 70lb artificial sinew and dyed dark brown.

It has "floating" d rings for detachable loops if required and a solid brass keeper loop, rather than a leather loop, for the closure strap.

Dimensions are: apx 5" x 6" x 1 1/2" front to rear.

Still going strong. :)
Thanks martyn, i think the size of this is just about right, not to big, not to small. the only thing i would change on this, is to box stitch it rather than fold an stitch if that makes sense, also the idea of the option of wearing as a dangler if wanted is great to, but for me even with my own pouch, which drives me nuts is threading it onto me belt, i think if you could find a better option to attach it to your belt, ie, like press studs or something to make taking it on and off more easy, would definatly be a bonus in my eyes.
what your thoughts on this lads, and lasses.

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks martyn, i think the size of this is just about right, not to big, not to small. the only thing i would change on this, is to box stitch it rather than fold an stitch if that makes sense, also the idea of the option of wearing as a dangler if wanted is great to, but for me even with my own pouch, which drives me nuts is threading it onto me belt, i think if you could find a better option to attach it to your belt, ie, like press studs or something to make taking it on and off more easy, would definatly be a bonus in my eyes.

I like the fact that it is a closed system, less chance of catching it and popping the studs open. Threading it onto the belt is no problems and once on it stays there for the weekend. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely work, I don't suppose you would be willing to post a list of all that you keep in there would you? :)

I like it as a "grab and go" ouch (don't have to think about what to take)

It contains amongst sundry junk

A lighter
A ferro rod
A small compass
A SAK huntsman
An "ouch pouch" (plasters, bite kit, burn gel, tick hook etc.)
A small torch for when I stay out too late
A whistle
Some kite string and duct tape
A mobile phone emergency charger
A couple of ziplock bags
A spare strip of puritabs
A folding magnifying glass for peering at small things
A tinder pouch

All the stuff I generally find myself wanting I suppose

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield

If you have D rings on the pouch then you can clip smallish karabiners onto tour belt and then clip the D rings to these. This means that its easy to attach/detach but isn't likely to accidently pop off.

Cheers

Grebby

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
If you have D rings on the pouch then you can clip smallish karabiners onto tour belt and then clip the D rings to these. This means that its easy to attach/detach but isn't likely to accidently pop off.

Cheers

Grebby
fantastic bit of advice, thank you.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I like it as a "grab and go" ouch (don't have to think about what to take)....All the stuff I generally find myself wanting I suppose

Thanks for that.

"...what would be the ideal possible pouch..."

I'm not sure there can be an ideal one, a possibles pouch will be different things to different people, for me it contains those things I need to have handy but often don't have in my bag or pack, that can include nail clippers, a band aid or two, hand cream, all the stuff that can make things a bit more pleasant when I'm out and about or working.

From an earlier thread, here are two other takes on what the contents of a possibles pouch might include.

"...And don't neglect to take what sailors call a "ditty-bag." This may be a little sack of chamois leather about 4 inches wide by 6 inches in length. Mine is before me as I write. Emptying the contents, I find it inventories as follows: A dozen hooks, running in size from small minnow hooks to large Limericks; four lines of six yards each, varying from the finest to a size sufficient for a ten-pound fish; three darning needles and a few common sewing needles; a dozen buttons; sewing silk; thread, and a small ball of strong yarn for darning socks; sticking salve; a bit of shoemaker's wax; beeswax; sinkers, and a very fine file for sharpening hooks. The ditty-bag weighs, with contents, 2 1/2 ounces; and it goes in a small buckskin bullet pouch, which I wear almost as constantly as my hat. The pouch has a sheath strongly sewed on the back side of it, where the light hunting knife is always at hand, and it also carries a two-ounce vial of fly medicine, a vial of "pain killer," and two or three gangs of hooks on brass wire snells–of which, more in another place. I can always go down into that pouch for a water-proof match safe, strings, compass, bits of linen and scarlet flannel (for frogging), copper tacks, and other light duffle. It is about as handy a piece of woods-kit as I carry..."

Nessmuk

"...The items most often found in my possibles bag are: compass, loud whistle, waterproof match safe, insect repellent, folding knife, personal medical kit, three-inch crepe bandage, strong twine, honing rods, chinagraph pencil..."

Ray Mears

For the curious, Horace Kephart preferred to stuff things into his shirt and jacket pockets...

"...The conventional American hunting coat of tan-colored cotton is designed primarily for fishermen, bird-hunters, and others who can reach home or permanent camp every night. Being nearly all pockets but the button-holes," its wearer needs no pouch or game-bag. A man can stuff all the pockets full (he generally does) and still cross fences and slip through thickets without anything catching or dangling in the way...pipe and tobacco, note-book and pencil, or whatever you want handy at all times without crowding the trousers pockets...." 

Horace Kephart

:)

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mine has:

notepad
pencil
SAK (one with a hook & scissors)
plasters/paracetamol/loperamide/Gaviacon
cereal bars
water bottle
lighter
matches
ferro rod (with built in whistle)
small folding penknife (Land Rover promotional item, made in Sheffield)
Vaseline cotton wool + rubber strips
sterile wipes (for when the bags below split!)
dog poo bags
2 x headtorches (Alpkit Gamma + Petzl e+Lite + spare batteries for latter)
cash (about £40)
waterproof bag
Mylar emergency blanket
tissues
Vet wrap bandage
Fisherman's Friends (aniseed)
headphones
starter cord (3mm, about 10m)
hand cream/moisturiser

Think that's it, from memory. Sounds like a lot but it all fits in the gas mask bag quite easily. I sometimes include a metal mug too & will probably bung a small stove in there at some stage. It's what I take on dog walks until I can get him a pack of his own!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very nice pouches. I recently was given a box full of leather by a mate who used to make costumes and was thinking about making a pouch. Very taken with the buttonless one you had British red. Anyone got a pattern they're willing to share?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'm with Kephart on this as my bushcrafting is done in the UK and rarely more than a few days at a time so starving to death isn't really on the cards without a concerted effort. Most of my clothing has more than one pocket so I only have a mobile phone pouch on my belt but always have a decent penknife and 2 lightweight lighters in my pockets.( a spare one in case one fails)
I have never found reason to blow a whistle in the woods unless I need lots of dogs to appear and the local wildlife to disappear.
All the other stuff goes in my pack or stays at home as I never had use for it. I have a FAK called a clean handkerchief. I don't fish anymore so I don't have a uk rod license therefor hooks and lines would be for poaching which is illegal.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i personally carry just a 2 ounce survival tin and enough room for a paket of fags and a lighter.
this is great info keep it coming lads.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
i personally carry just a 2 ounce survival tin and enough room for a paket of fags and a lighter.
this is great info keep it coming lads.

tried that but the times i've needed my kit my hand have been cold and/or wet and the mini stuff has been next to carp

I prefer to carry core stuff full size and spread out

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I usually just carry two x 2oz tins in coat or my shirt pockets. Which covers most of the items discussed already. Not in the way on my belt. Just a personal choice i find easy.

Or on longers trips carry a small stuff sack in the pockets instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE