What is it, and will it kill me?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Found this plant growing along a barb wire fence on a walk in Kent recently.

XT1A0493_sm.JPG

Any ideas what it is ? Will it kill me if I eat it?

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks very much like Dioscorea communis Black Bryony, Lady's Seal, Black Bindweed. All parts are poisonous (saponins) and shouldn't be eaten, though some make poultices for bruises - but not me.

(Supposedly the young shoots are edible - Hmm, I wouldn't risk it as when is a young shoot not young enough?)

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It does look like black bryony and will indeed kill you. If not it will make you very very ill.
Most saponins are particularly savage as a poison because they're also delirients. So the best you can hope for is a good few hours of vivid hallucinations and then renal damage

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Found this plant growing along a barb wire fence on a walk in Kent recently.

XT1A0493_sm.JPG

Any ideas what it is ? Will it kill me if I eat it?

J

As long as you don't provoke it you should be safe. However if it starts to chase you don't run as that only excelerates its prey drive!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know I said to avoid eating it but seemingly in Greece they eat the young shoots like asparagus. I'm still not trying it though, nasty habit of poisoning folks in antiquity.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a cracker of a photograph of it Julia :D

We need to save that one somewhere that it can be found.

Years ago there were all sorts of attempts at plant profiles, month by month, what grew where and when, etc.,

Maybe we could simplify things and just have, Good to Eat, Do Not Eat!! , threads instead ?

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a cracker of a photograph of it Julia :D

We need to save that one somewhere that it can be found.

Years ago there were all sorts of attempts at plant profiles, month by month, what grew where and when, etc.,

Maybe we could simplify things and just have, Good to Eat, Do Not Eat!! , threads instead ?

M

Borders Chocolate Gingers - GOOD, Brussels Sprouts - BAD. :lmao:

Sorry Julia I meant to say earlier that it was a lovely picture, it captured the translucent nature and colour of the berries which is one of it's most defining features for me.

Be good to try it again Toddy, Though maybe a safe to eat not safe to eat might be better as you know we'll never all agree what's nice and what's not. :rolleyes:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The photo is available for use under the creative commons CC-BY-SA license. (As are all my photos).

Santaman, I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I read your post, made me laugh loudly.

Cheers

J

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Its a member of the yam family and as such does produce large rhizomes. I think you right about it having been processed. But I wouldn't touch it in the same way I wouldn't touch lords and ladies. Even if you know what you're doing, one little slip and you're in big trouble. Just not worth the risk.
it really is a beautiful plant though and that is a cracking photo.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, my wife is on a forest school training course at the moment and sent me a photo of the same plant to identify. Never seen one before but a swift Google had it sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE