What is Burl

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Not wanting to sound like a fool!.......................But...........................

I am wanting to make a Kuska and need a Birch "Burl" but what is it!!

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
knut.jpg

It’s the lumpy growth that you get on the side of a Birch tree trunk.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ah!

That is that sorted then!!!

Not seen that around here!

Is it compulsory for a Kuska

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Burls can form on most trees, its either where a young branch is damaged at the base or a parasitic insect has bored into the tree, this stimulates an erratic growth pattern which causes the burl to grow, its not nessasery for a kuksa but noggins are traditionaly made from them, as long as the heart wood is removed you can make a nice cup from most woods OH and M@rk BOY :eek: is that a beauty!!! LOL ;) ive got one that Bam gave me seasoning in my shed but yours makes it look like a peanut! LOL....Heres a couple of pics of a noggin i made

cup2.jpg

cup1.jpg

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
kata said:
I think the pic that m@rk put up is taken from brisa...... ;)

I didn’t know who’s it was, I did an image search with google so
Pignut could see what I was talking about.

Paganwolf said:
M@rk!! :rolleyes: oh well its a biggun whos ever it is! :rolleyes:

I reckon your right its defernetly a biggun. I wonder if any one knows what it was made into.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Been for a mooch around the woods, cant find anything big enough to call a burl!

Think I will opt for a section of birch Trunk!

Thanks All

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The end of the handle of that noggin. Does it "curl" around and not touch the handle again? I.e. is the 'end' attached to the handle or separated? I like it very much.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
What is the best way ( for the tree ) to detatch the burl? Saw it off close to the rest of the trunk?
Will the rest of the tree become infected if i saw it off or will it heal depending on how big it is of course?
I ask because i find this very interesting. The wavy grain patterns can be very beautiful but it not worth killing a tree that has taken years to grow over. :)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
What is the best way ( for the tree ) to detatch the burl? Saw it off close to the rest of the trunk?
Will the rest of the tree become infected if i saw it off or will it heal depending on how big it is of course?
I ask because i find this very interesting. The wavy grain patterns can be very beautiful but it not worth killing a tree that has taken years to grow over. :)

i would also like to know how to do this if anyone has any suggestions :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Find a fallen tree and help yourself, as damage isn't an issue. I use a long fixed handled silky saw and cut as much of the burl off as possible. Its a long old job mind so if you have access to a chainsaw and know what your doing, then thats an easy option.
Burls dont naturally detatch from the main stem.

For a decent sized piece of burl, taking from a living tree would cause a large wound that the tree would struggle to deal with, and infection from fungal disease would be very possible.

Happy Hunting!

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Burl!!!

up until last year I had only ever heard them called Nigger Heads. I have since learned to call them Blood Knots.

sorry for the un PC remarks, but I find education on certain things not very PC at times either

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I spend most of my internet time looking at knife related forums etc, and burls are very common for handles. I can only assume that it is now (if not earlier) the correcterest term around

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE