What is an Allotment?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Pardon my ignorance, but just what is an allotment?
From the looks of the pictures it is a gardin or something. Does this refer to a rental area?
Most of the time I do ok with the nuances of the language shift, but this one has mestumped?
Thanks
Jon:confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Usually owned by the local council (State) and rented at a nominal rent (way below market value). Originally intended so working folk had enough land to grow food for their families.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There are various rules, generally the food must not be sold, the size varies but it is garden size. Some you can keep chickens some you cant , they arent really big enough for animals like goats normally. They came about between the wars and during the second world war they were very important at preventing food shoratages.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Allotments here are generally sized by whats called a pole measurement system, apparently harking back to Anglo Saxon times. A standard allotment is 10 poles here which is roughly 250 metres squared, but you can get 5 poles also. Here in my village a 5 pole allotment costs £12.50 per year which is subsidised by our Parish council. There is currently quite a long waiting list for an allotment here in some parts of the UK.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Note: Allotments are not limited to the UK. In the Netherlands, where high density living in apartments is more prevalent than the UK, Allotments are very popular. The Dutch call them Tuin, which translates literally as "Garden". They tend to be stricter and more regimented than UK allotments, and also a lot more expensive, we used to pay several hundred euro. The Dutch also tend to use them slightly differently. While many will use their Tuin to grow vegetables, flowers are more likely. They really are just gardens, more than the food production garden that they are in the UK.

Finally, a bit of allotment trivia. Einstein used to have an allotment/tuin when he was living in the Netherlands, and he got a letter from the Allotment society asking him to either tidy his tuin, or to vacate the plot.

Thank you for reading Julia's late night obscure trivia forum posts, I'm available for pub quizzes and other trivia events :p

Julia

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I stand corrected, I knew he had an allotment and got a letter asking him to tidy it up, couldn't remember where it was.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE