what is a possibles pouch?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Okay so i'm seeing alot of talk about them and some bloody nice examples of leatherwork too.

my meaning of this is that its a pouch that you have on you so that whilst your out in the woods you can collect things like tinder, kindling, mushrooms and wild greens etc and generally have somewhere to put them.

am i generally correct here or reading the map upside down?
ta
pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My interpretation of a possibles pouch is something you wear to keep small bits of kit to hand. What people put in them varies greatly, some go for the whole survival tin malarky while others just put something like a tinder pouch in with a firelighting kit etc, small torches etce etc.

A foraging bag is useful for collecting stuff while out, some go for ex issue gas mask bags etc. For fungi collecting a basket is a good idea as it will allow the spores to spread as you`re walking through the woods.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
wow, that guy has alot in his pouch. however i think i now grasp the concept, its not an "ooh that looks interesting" pouch but more a "what would happen if the world ended whilst i was out in the wild?"

i get it now. i think my little us army medic pouch suddenly got very small indeed...

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
wow, that guy has alot in his pouch. however i think i now grasp the concept, its not an "ooh that looks interesting" pouch but more a "what would happen if the world ended whilst i was out in the wild?"

i get it now. i think my little us army medic pouch suddenly got very small indeed...

many would say his list is overkill, a lot is down to preference. there are loads of threads about possibles pouch content, do a search. i think small is good in that it is easy to grab and carry. i'd say a us army medic pouch is plenty to contain a few essentials.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i dont carry one, just tend to have stuf in my pockets on my jacket and a knife on my belt. usualy i just have...
knife
firesteel
sometimes a folding saw
ALWAYS a small first aid kit that lives in my top left pocket so i know where it is
torch in the shorter winter days
some para cord/string

and thats usualy all i carry if im out for upto 3 or 4 hours, if im out all day then i carry a small rucksack with water, some kind of cooking pot, a stove, brew kit and some food

its all personal preference what you carry and how you carry it

pete

I tend to think of kit as falling into three categories: camp, trek and wander.

I've always been a pockets kind of guy for wandering, but am slowly coming around to the pouch idea. A foraging bag sounds useful too.

I was looking at a PLCE first aid pouch online. It seems to be compartmentalised and folds open, which seems appropriate for little bits.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think 'possibles pouch' is a slight misnomer.
I just call it a 'pouch'.
In mine I keep my firelighting stuff.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I keep all the stuff in mine that I constantly need, and also what I could survive on.

1x opinel back up knife
1x millbank bag
1x DC3 stone
1x zippo tin with cotten wool tinder
1x firesteel
1x set of chlorine tablets (about 10, just in case you know!)
4x cupper soups!
1x small first aid kit (plasters and aspirin! Carry some FFD's in my pack)

thats it and that all fits in a pretty small pouch, the point is it's stuff that I need frequently....other than my primary knife and axe and saw!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A good one should be large enough to hold a bottle of red wine, corkscrew, melamine glass, bread rolls, good cheese, small tin of olives, small tin of pate, zip lock of pickles, fresh fruit and an MP3 player or small radio. Thats my lunchtime possibles bag, the night time bag would have Stella instead of wine and a selection of good cold meats instead of cheese plus a small flask of Brandy:)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i always figured they come from an era when trousers rarely had pockets, so using one is akin to havin belt and braces . . . but im probably wrong

They look nice tho,
Archerysmiley-1.gif

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
does anybody keep there 'posables' inside mess tins or a billy can in the pouch? i saw it in loftys SAS survival guide. imo having a pot is much more usefull than most stuf found in them.

pete

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I tend to feel that a possibles pouch is alot like bushcraft bling.

some people have an old tin in their cargo pocket, others have a hand stitched and tooled leather belt pouch stuffed to the brim with gucci kit.

s'all bling:D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I tend to feel that a possibles pouch is alot like bushcraft bling.

some people have an old tin in their cargo pocket, others have a hand stitched and tooled leather belt pouch stuffed to the brim with gucci kit.

s'all bling:D

does that include solid flint teeth too?
hehe

yeah possibles pouch i see is what you make of it. something small for me i think, so i can keep it together nicely
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE