What fur and where from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Its tempting, and if I had a permission I would gladly do it myself but sadly I have no bunnies to bash. I would appreciate the instructions though, thankyou.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wolf or coyote are most commonly used to trim hoods here and I expect fox would do pretty well also. Buffalo sounds warm but I think it might be a tad heavy. Does it necessarily have to be a wild fur? It might be interesting to try sheepskin?

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I am leaning more towards the coyote myself. I went to Silvermans the other day as they have a parka in stock with coyote fur trim and it is very nice stuff. I can get a back for £42 which is probably double what I need so if anybody wants to share one let me know.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Decorum started, and has kept it updated, a thread about the markets

That thread's been going a couple of years now :cool: .

The autumn International took place at Bruntingthorpe last weekend and the next one will be February/March next year.

The autumn TORM is going to be held on the weekend 11 - 13 November.

There's usuall a good selection of furs to be had ~ up from (grey) squirrel through rabbit, sheep and boar. I've even seen buffalo hides on offer (very heavy though :yikes: ).

If you wish to break the trip into more easily managed chunks, you could take advantage of the Rough Close Meet purposely scheduled to coincide with the market.

All the usual disclaimers on the reenactment bits.

Last edited:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
If you are importing furs you need cites certificates for many of them. Beaver for instance, bear's another......p
If you try and get fur from the U.S. you will also need to pay a mandatory U.S. Fish & Wildlife permit fee of $100-150 per shipment, regardless of the number of items shipped

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you try and get fur from the U.S. you will also need to pay a mandatory U.S. Fish & Wildlife permit fee of $100-150 per shipment, regardless of the number of items shipped

I'm off to the Brighton boot market soon, I saw a lamb beaver coat there last week for £20.00 circa 1880's.
If I was better at sewing I'd get it for making a few trapper hats.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Teedee and myself just got a really nice Coyote back from House of DeClifford to split for a ruff. The guy was very helpful, I'll be dealing again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE