What foods are out there this time of year in britian?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Well what wild foods are ready or nearly read for eating in our wonderful island? It would be great if i could get a bit everytime i walked the dog or done a bit of hunting,

cheers John

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Morelle's are out at the moment (if you can find them)

Nettle
Wild garlic is up
hawthorne leaf is out

just a few to get you started!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi John
Primroses make good eating apparently though ive not tried it myself, I made a batch of nettle soup this time last year it was really good (Recipe from 'A Cook on the Wild Side').
A friend of mine has been putting wild garlic leaves (Ramsons) in his cheese sandwiches this week, he said it repeats on him all day mind. :D

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I found a small area of Pignuts a few weeks ago, i dug one up, it wasn't massive but ate it anyway, later on in May they will be much bigger.

Jews Ear fungi - all year round
Ramsons/wild garlic
Jack by the hedge/ hedge garlic -quite small at this time of year
Lime leaves will be out fairly soon, depending on what part of the country your in
Celandine/pilewort -roast the roots, full of carbs

amongst others

Maybe best not to eat the Primrose as they are protected...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Limaed said:
Hi John
Primroses make good eating apparently though ive not tried it myself, I made a batch of nettle soup this time last year it was really good (Recipe from 'A Cook on the Wild Side').
A friend of mine has been putting wild garlic leaves (Ramsons) in his cheese sandwiches this week, he said it repeats on him all day mind. :D

I thought primroses were not allowed to be collected as they are actually quite rare flowers nowdays?

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
scouser4life said:
Well what wild foods are ready or nearly read for eating in our wonderful island? It would be great if i could get a bit everytime i walked the dog or done a bit of hunting,

cheers John
try getting your hands on this book food for free look it up ;)

xylaria

As it when you are walking your dog look out for bittercress and cleavers.
They grow around on the ground at the bottom lamposts and exposed verges where dog scrape their paws after peeing.
IMHO cleavers are best fried and bitter cress best in soup. They are both very common indeed. Bitter cress can be eaten raw, in moderation, but avoid the dog pee saled dressing :lmao:

There is alot flowers that you can eat. I eat alot of gorse flowers. Smell like coconut taste like peas, and nice with stir fried rice :D . You can eat blackthorne flowers as well. really young hawthorne leaves are nice with cheese sarnies, you might be a bit early but lime and maple shoots are super lovely.

:morpheus: Take care that a plant is indentified correctly before eating it. :morpheus:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
billycan said:
I found a small area of Pignuts a few weeks ago, i dug one up, it wasn't massive but ate it anyway, later on in May they will be much bigger....

You would think I would have added that one !!!!! :lmao:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Dandelions. You can eat the flowers, leaves and roots.

The flowers make good wine.
The leaves can be used as a salad.
The roots can be roast and ground and drunk like coffee.

Young shoots and rhizomes of Common Reed can be eaten raw or slow boiled.

P1030030.jpg
[/IMG]

The young shoots of Reed Mace are also good cooked or eaten raw

Reedmaceshoot.jpg
[/IMG]

and this is Stinging Nettle and potato soup

Nettleandpotatosoup-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
billycan said:
I found a small area of Pignuts a few weeks ago, i dug one up, it wasn't massive but ate it anyway, later on in May they will be much bigger.

Jews Ear fungi - all year round
Ramsons/wild garlic
Jack by the hedge/ hedge garlic -quite small at this time of year
Lime leaves will be out fairly soon, depending on what part of the country your in
Celandine/pilewort -roast the roots, full of carbs

amongst others

Maybe best not to eat the Primrose as they are protected...

Does jews Ear need to be prepared in anyway i see it all the time in my local woods.

xylaria

Thrym said:
Does jews Ear need to be prepared in anyway i see it all the time in my local woods.

ear fungus is 'edible' raw, but the texture is as bazaar to eat as you would expect. Dont fry/bake it whole as it bubbles up and expoldes. Stir fry sliced, stew in soup, it can also be dried. It is very tastless for fungi even when dried. Wierd texture, when cooked in soup you may regonise that you have eaten it before in wonton soup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE