what do you thing of my allWeatherProtectionPlan

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
Honestly I’m just a beginner in this whole thing. And have some things such as knife and some survival stuff. So I thought: let’s organise the whole stuff and make a plan. And the plan is called:

allWeatherProtectionPlan :D

Poncho (Swedish with arms)
Heavy cotton OG jacket With Fleece liner
Dutch army Gore-Tex liner
Gloves, cap, goretexboots

Basha (SASS)
Dutch Gore-Tex bivvy bag
Sleeping bag (don’t know which)
All garment waterproof packed in rucksack

Do you think I’ve forgotten something or take to much? If I look at it, it’s a lot of kilo’s to take with me.
please tell me what you think of it, and perhaps some advice???

greats

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
chrisvreugd said:
Honestly I’m just a beginner in this whole thing. And have some things such as knife and some survival stuff. So I thought: let’s organise the whole stuff and make a plan. And the plan is called:

Basha (SASS)
Dutch Gore-Tex bivvy bag

Do you think I’ve forgotten something or take to much? If I look at it, it’s a lot of kilo’s to take with me.

greats
Looks good to me, pal. But i'm new to this whole thing too, and it just looks to me like you've forgot stuff for when the weather is nice! :D (Although probably won't be this time of year :) )

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
chrisvreugd said:

Basha (SASS)
Dutch Gore-Tex bivvy bag

greats

Of course it's horses for courses what you are carrying. Carry what you think will work for you. Just some quick notes:
- Poncho AND basha ... some people here will state you can do with a poncho (double function: keeping you dry from rain, and serves as a form of shelter).
- Poncho AND dutch gore-rex liner ... for me it's just two off the same.

Things not on your list, but maybe worth considering:
- Waterproof trousers (or:)
- Gaiters

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Spacemonkey said:
Water proof wide brimmed hat makes quite a difference! Treat the cotton jacklet with a waterproofing agent and it'll all be good. Luverly jubbly..

My recommendation as well. If your jacket isn't waterproofed, it'll soak up the wet and weigh a ton, without offering the insulating value that wool would give.

I'd take both the basha and poncho. It will give you much more versatility in shelter building.

Make sure that your fire making gear is up to snuff in wet weather. Hard to light tinder can make a fire near impossible to ignite in wet and wind.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you have the room, take the basha and the poncho. if you use a poncho as your shelter, what do you wear when you are not in your shelter and the weather is bad?
versatility is all very well but a little kit redundancy doesn't hurt.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
Drop the heavy cotton jacket, cotton is no good, it gets heavy and wet and offers no insulation, in fact wet cotton transfers more heat away from the body than bare wet skin!

A fleece liner is ok as your insulating mid layer though, but I'd never carry a cotton jacket, I carry a goretex jacket that is quite light, windproof and keeps me dry.

As you're clearly expecting to get wet, I'd advise thinking carefully about your baselayer. Steer clear of cotton for the reasons mentioned above, so go for either poly prop type synthetic, or wool/merino type thing. Whichever you prefer really, you'll get plenty of heated debate on here about wools vs synthetics for thermals so it's up to you to decide which suits you best, just don't get wet wearing a cotton t-shirt against your skin or you'll be sorry.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Could you use the bivi as a pack liner? that way the sleepingbag would already be inside so you wouldn't risk getting it wet when setting up.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Wentworth

Good one mate! Totally practical, you can always tell a real Bushman when you meet one! ;)

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Cheers Aussie!
Having used a bivi for a couple of years, I figured this would probably be the best way if you had to set up in the rain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE