What do you put between....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
..... your hammock and the sleeping bag during winter nights?
I guess I'm looking for something that reflects body heat perhaps a space Blanket?
Thanks for any replies
Cold seems to get to my 63 year old bones ��

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a CCF mat, an Aldi self inflating mat or, if it is very cold, a down filled air mat...Space Blankets rumple up too much for me...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Partially inflated sleep mat, wider the better to prevent cold spots. Hopefully your hammock has a double layer, it's very handy to stop your insulation from moving about.

I do do like my sheepskins, but they're heavy and bulky for walk-ins.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Nothing? You use an underquilt when using a hammock. Most sleeping pads aren't made to fit into a hammock.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
My mossgeil swandri...at night fold to shape. Hate carrying very specific single use items. Like an under blanket for the hammock. In real cold just fire my reusable space blanket into the swanny. Simples.

Have tried rolling the hot boulders from the fire under me before but they can be a pain to move about. Does work though.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've been using a jerven bag [exlcusive with the heavy weight insulation] wrapped around me entirely, with the hammock passing through, it has worked quite well so far but haven't used it in real cold yet, not into the minuses anyway. I also have a 3/4 down underquilt which is very light 600g IIRC an packs down to a grapefruit size with a little effort which I would use in addition in colder temps. I made a full size quilt from a standard single size down bedquilt - just a couple of tabs on the corners with a length of shock cord attached by a crab to the hammock suspension - good, cheap [I already had the quilt which was going to get thrown away] but bulky and heavy compared to purpose built walking gear.

So for real cold I'd use my Jerven, with the 3/4 down underquilt and another light weight sleeping bag inside all that opened out and used as a top quilt. [plus hat, thick jumper, neck thing / balaclava, fingerless gloves]

I find it just as much a faff putting a tent up compared to stringing up a hammock an associated quilts.

With my Jerven I also have the option of a bivi if there are no trees.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i use a snugpak underquilt and dd jura 2 sleeping bag in winter. works fine, but when its freezing i use a balaclava too. setup wise, yes its fiddly when you first get it, but now it takes about 90 seconds to get it where i want it

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
My mossgeil swandri...at night fold to shape. Hate carrying very specific single use items. Like an under blanket for the hammock. In real cold just fire my reusable space blanket into the swanny. Simples.

Have tried rolling the hot boulders from the fire under me before but they can be a pain to move about. Does work though.

Hoo-Ha! Rocks are a great idea - probably straight out of the old books. I'll give them a try when I have the chance. I like the multiple use approach too.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK

Just watch were you put your feet if you have climb out in the middle of the night.

Be like like a cat on a hot tin roof ;)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Just watch were you put your feet if you have climb out in the middle of the night.

Be like like a cat on a hot tin roof ;)

Hahaha ye I'll bet. And yes, it is out ye olde books. Can't remember what one. You can do a similar thing for lying on the ground. Roll the rocks into a small depression and cover in soil and bracken then your sleep mat over it. It'll stay warm till morning.

Not advised in frozen solid ground naturally. Youll be there till morning digging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE