What can I protect my blades with?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have a mora laminated carbon carving knife and a mora carbon companion and through no fault but my own, both blades have started to get small black squiggles on them which I am assuming is rust/oxidising? How and what can I use to protect them in the future? And can I remove the marks at all?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A patina on carbon steel isn't a bad thing. It will protect the knife from actual rust. It's possible to polish it off with fine wet and dry or a cutting compound. But I wouldn't really bother. Protection wise the answer is oil.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Normal mate, but use fine wet n dry or a strop to take it off.

Any oil left on the blade will keep more rust/patina showing up. Go with food grade if you can (cooking/olive oil etc) just ..because. Or candle wax. Bee, parafin etc anything, even babybell wax lol.

If you don't have a strop, get one. Carving knives need constant touch ups. Made one here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127906&highlight=

Can't make one yourself, give me a shout, I can help/make one for you.

:eek:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
It means you are using it, good for you. When I see someone show off a pristine shiny knife, I feel bad for the knife. As the owner does not think his knife is any good so spares it work or contact. There is a marked difference between a used knife and an abused one. No one here have a nice knife almost all have a good one.
Mineral oil will coat your blade from rust, only a very light coat.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use 3 woks in the kitchen. The oldest has 50 years of patina, inside and out. Same with 2 cleavers and 2 kitchen knives.
Just a drop or two or food-grade oil, a wipe down with a soft cloth and never a spec of red/rotten rust.

tsitenha has good understanding. I have two "outdoor" knives. I've never tried to keep them "pretty."

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
+1 RV, I modified a steel Chinese "frying" pan, cut short the handle, flipped it over onto itself. Had it welded to produce a "pipe", drilled a through hole for a screw, insert a branch, and secure it. Also pounded the flat bottom concave to produce a WOK. I think they are great.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To stop a Carbon steel blade from slowly turning black - patinate it!
Get the blade nicely blackened in a random design that protects the steel from further marking by simply wrapping it in tissue/kitchen roll that is then soaked in Malt Vinegar (the stuff you put on chips) - and never have to worry about shiny blades again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE