what Budget knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I vote for the Mora companion HD (heavy duty) model its a good knife and pretty robust and are very cheap. As FixSwords said you can do plenty with a Mora Companion HD, it comes in orange too :)
I have the orange version. It's great because it's cheap, easier to find and in my opinion, looks less threatening if somebody happened to see it.

Feb 12, 2024
Antrim
mora companion gets alot of recommendations as a good budget knife but I would like a full tang knife. is there anything full tang available that is low cost but still good?
I got dragged into "needing" a full tang knife early on. You really don't and I use my Mora Classic as much as my Casstrom full tang these days. What's your budget? Sissipuuko, Marttiini, Condor, Beavercraft and BPS knives will all have decent sub £80 offerings if you're buying new.

Otherwise. I still think the Mora Bushcraft Black or Forest is an excellent all rounder. I gave mine some serious abuse as a beginner and it has held up just fine. I love the thing. Good luck.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
There is a very nice Jaakaripuuko in the classifieds, full tang and bullet proof, good steel, very good price, just throwing that out there:whistling:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I wish they quoted how long the tang extends into the handle :(
I think somewhere on this forum is an x-ray pic of several cheap knives, that very well shows the length of the tang on various models.

I also don't think it matters all that much on a practice knife, survival would be more than slightly different. There Leka's Jääkäripuukko is a good first candidate as usual depending on one's preferences.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I wish they quoted how long the tang extends into the handle :(

I once took a similar knife apart (not a Mora) and the tang was all of 2cm long!
Has anyone broken one of these knives in use as a result of a short tang?

Anyone who has a plastic handled knife and a miniature magnet can roughly assess the reach of the tang.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
True, but that's after you've bought it if online.

Yes, I have broken one, but on purpose demonstrating the limitation of very short tang knives. My knives are tools used in the wood to do work. I accept you choose the tool to do the jobs you anticipate but foresight is a wonderful thing if you have it :)

I use the Mora knives on the courses I run - they are very practical and useful knives - but one has to know the design limitations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE