What are these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
There is a dual carrige way leading to another part of my town, and there is a pathway next to the raod, and there is a row of trees, some hawthorn, some gorse, and a tree which bears some sort of peach, I would like to know if they are edible, a few weeks ago they were yellow, some still are, and now they are red on the tree/bush, they bear the same things of a big peach like; the line or slit just like on a plum/peach, and in the middle is a nut/pip, I will get pictures soon, but they look like a little peach.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like one of the plums.
Google on line and find some photos of cherry laurel; that's the only one that's poisonous.
All of the rest are edible, if inclined to be sour.

There are some weird and wonderful cultivars out there :)
Interested to see some photos when you can; try and get one showing the leaves and the fruit cut open to show the stone too please.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Difficult to say without a piccy, but if it looks like a peach tree, the fruit looks like a peach & when you open it, it has a peach stone inside, i'd say it was a pomegranat.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
I'll bring leaves and a few of them home to ID them, they look yellow a few weeks ago, now they are red, but they look like a plum.

And they are very juicy, that's why I want to see, I want to eat them! They look delicious.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Plums now eh ?........just a word of caution, heed it or not, ....I personally wouldn't eat anything growing near a busy road, some people will & tell you it's ok to do so, they're either unaware of the effects of pollution on their organisms or they like heavy metals & carcinogenic particles with their edibles.....I've no idea how far away the trees are from the dual carriage way, maybe they're safe...............just wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

ganstey

Settler
I was listening to a Radio 4 programme yesterday (sorry, can't remember which one as I was catching up on podcasts, but it would've been broadcast in the last week or so. Possibly Home Planet). Someone asked about the pollution etc risks of foraging near roads. They said that a study (again can't remember who by) said that now lead had been removed from petrol it was safe to eat foraged foods from anywhere where traffic was continually moving. The only places they said to avoid were places where traffic regularly stood idling, such as at junctions.

I guess it's up to each person to evaluate the risks and make their own decisions.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Sorry I still haven't got pics yet guys, I WILL get some tomorrow.

Is it a good idea to bring loads home, so then if they're edible (which by the looks of it, yes) I can eat them, and whatnot.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I was listening to a Radio 4 programme yesterday (sorry, can't remember which one as I was catching up on podcasts, but it would've been broadcast in the last week or so. Possibly Home Planet). Someone asked about the pollution etc risks of foraging near roads. They said that a study (again can't remember who by) said that now lead had been removed from petrol it was safe to eat foraged foods from anywhere where traffic was continually moving. The only places they said to avoid were places where traffic regularly stood idling, such as at junctions.

I guess it's up to each person to evaluate the risks and make their own decisions.

I'm more bothered about when it rains and animal turds, diesel plus any other detritus on the roads getting splashed up and sprayed from the vehicles onto said fruit.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
They are plums, anyway guys I went down there again today to see about 3 people in a group with a bag picking them, I asked the man, saying are they cherry plums, he replied saying yes they are plums, I said are they edible, he said I hope so, anyway and in total today I've seen about 7 people picking berries.

I also found another 2 UNPICKED! plums trees, further down the road, I eat ALOT of them, and they are fine!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Beat me to it, I heard exactly the same programme.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE