Wet Woods 18-7-2012

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Had a great, if damp day out today in the woods with Hugo & Rockmonkey, started off well with sunshine, but not long after we had to a suitable spot in the woods to set up hammocks and a couple of tarps it's started to rain.

Oh yes, it was my turn to end up on my backside today when the rope on my hammock failed - twack twack twang, & there's me on the ground, lucky i didn't hurt myself, took me by surprise though and knocked the wind out of me for a few minutes, still Hugo got the kettle on and as we all know, a brew sorts all sorts of ailments.

Few pics, not many this time round as it was incredibly dark under the tree canopy

Walking in

DSCN7208.jpg

Camp area and my hastily repaired hammock

DSCN7213.jpg

DSCN7214.jpg

We noticed, it was hard not too in all honesty, that a lot of the Sycamores are dropping their leaves and some of them seem to have autumnal colour in the leaves as well, pretty sure it's down to the weather and they will recover in due course

DSCN7216.jpg

looking around the area

DSCN7218.jpg

DSCN7225.jpg

DSCN7228.jpg

RM, going to get another brew on

DSCN7221.jpg

two of the Three Amigo's, Rm carving away, not quite sure what Hugo is doing:rolleyes:.

DSCN7223.jpg

Not long after this we headed out as the weather took a distinct turn for the worse, great day out all the same, as it always is - cheers for another great day out chaps, roll on next week.:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You mean you actually had a break in the rain, you lucky lucky lucky ........ Nice set ups you have there :)

Ed

yup, there was this funny thing in the sky at the beginning of the day called the Sun, im sure we were having a mass hallucination though as it soon rained again:)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It looks a lovely woodland you got there :) I'm wondering if the ground is so wet that the sycamores are getting a wee bit drownedout atm? You can tell how dark it is by the long exposures but it really adds to the pics imho :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'm wondering if the ground is so wet that the sycamores are getting a wee bit drownedout atm?

That's what we put it down to as well, strange thing is, it's only appears to be affecting a small number of the trees, one tree can be almost bare of leaves, yet it's neighbour of a similar size, is green and healthy:confused:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Just had a little google and it sounds like it could be anthracnose, a fungal problem in a later stage... you'd've thought if it was, the wood would have been infected for a few years and some of the trees would show the bushy regrowth under previous years cankers so hopefully not :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just had a little google and it sounds like it could be anthracnose, a fungal problem in a later stage... you'd've thought if it was, the wood would have been infected for a few years and some of the trees would show the bushy regrowth under previous years cankers so hopefully not :)

No sign of infection or cankers all on any of the trees, apart from the leaves, they all look fairly healthy, the leaves are not brown though, they have gone white (see 4th pic down), thanks for the info though, im seeing the Estate Managers soon, so i'll mention it to them and see what they know about it.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Cracking day out as always Amigo!
Not sure what hugo was doing in that picture whilst i was carving, but he was facing me!:twak:
Indeed, roll on next weeks bimble!, and sort out the weather Kep, your good weather percentage is rapidly going down!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cracking day out as always Amigo!
Not sure what hugo was doing in that picture whilst i was carving, but he was facing me!:twak:
Indeed, roll on next weeks bimble!, and sort out the weather Kep, your good weather percentage is rapidly going down!

It will be dry and roasting hot next week:)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Enjoyed myself once again with the great company, longer bimble next time, go light job, still get some apple pie in the rucksack mind.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed myself once again with the great company, longer bimble next time, go light job, still get some apple pie in the rucksack mind.

and find a spot that's a bit flatter:), that slope we were on yesterday was horrible.

Pie is good:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE