Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
So there i was collecting a load of these

DSCF4450.jpg

When this little lot hit

DSCF4454.jpg

DSCF4452.jpg

No sign of it when i left, in fact not a cloud in the sky, still at least i wont have to wash the sloes now - lol, got bleedin' soaked, thought i had put my poncho in my bag, did i heck, i put a similar green bag in my shoulder bag that contained, yep, anything but my poncho, that'll teach me to go out in a rush i suppose and not look at what im doing - lesson learnt.

Got soaked to the skin, but hey at least it was warm and the rain felt nice in all honesty, even though it damn well hurt at times it was that heavy, the pics were taken from the shelter of a big Ash tree, but in the end i figured i couldn't get any wetter than i had already got, so i just head back down the lane towards home, i weirdly quite enjoyed it, just walking through the rain.

Oh yes, the view towards the hill you can just make out in the rain, yes it's rain, not fog or mist, normally looks like this:)

Dscf2173.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I drove through a downpour like that on the motorway today, I thought to myself at the time that I'm glad I wasn't out in it.

Still, I know what you mean when you just walk out into it anyway, been there a few times.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep, sometimes you just have to be out there for no other reason than just being there

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I find with rain, the less you resist it, the less you rush, the less you hunch over - the drier you stay. Be one with the rain.

I have great memories of walking back through a summer thunderstorm when I was at uni - the rain was warm and the night was electric.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Its heavy rain at the moment, might go out to test out my new cook system :)

Waterproofs were stolen and have not been replaced so look like im getting wet..

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... Be one with the rain.....

Now that is worth exploring. We train our children to crouch and dash out of the rain and condition their mind to see it as a nuisance or threat while their inclination is to play in it.

I dislike starting a walk in the rain but do not mind if it does rain once the walk has started.

Maybe it is time to unlearn prejudices and take the kids and dog out for a walk the next time it rains

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was on holiday and in the hotel swimming pool when it started raining. Everyone got out of the pool - guess they didn't want to get more wet...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just trying to work out where you were Kepis, definitely on chalk, very familiar countryside for me.

I find once the initial "oh bugger" moment has passed, a good ravaging by mother nature can be quite therapeutic and invigorating. It's wild out there today and I'll be going for a good walk later.

With a coat on ;)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just trying to work out where you were Kepis, definitely on chalk, very familiar countryside for me.

I find once the initial "oh bugger" moment has passed, a good ravaging by mother nature can be quite therapeutic and invigorating. It's wild out there today and I'll be going for a good walk later.

With a coat on ;)

Was in the area of Cissbury Iron Age Fort, id like to go for another bimble today, but have to wait infor a delivery, this is their fourth attempt at getting it right

May 17, 2011
Lancashire
I actually quite like a strole in the rain but I'd like it to stop when it's time to stop for brew.

BTW Kepis, Your Sloes(?) are obviously much further advanced than ours up north but I was was always told to wait 'til after the first frost to pick them. Maybe they're Damsons or Bullace, can't really tell.

Nick

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
BTW Kepis, Your Sloes(?) are obviously much further advanced than ours up north but I was was always told to wait 'til after the first frost to pick them. Maybe they're Damsons or Bullace, can't really tell.

Nick

These are very ripe, to the point that some of them just fall apart in your fingers when you pick them, the Damsons are more or less finished down here now

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
just missed a downpour this morning, got into work and after getting out the shower it rained sideways for a little bit.
shame really would have been well fun cycling in that :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Was in the area of Cissbury Iron Age Fort, id like to go for another bimble today, but have to wait infor a delivery, this is their fourth attempt at getting it right

Not too far away then. We used to get the train to Worthing and cycle up there for mini festivals many years ago.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Saw masses of hedgerow fruit at the weekend. Sloes tasted good. Never tried sloes thinking they were really bitter. They were ok in taste but the best way to describe them is dry. I think they kind of dry the tongue and mouth but taste itself was ok. The damsons I saw were really nice and fairly sweet really but had thee typical damson tang to it. Lovely. Then I saw plenty of tiny rose hips. Saw a few plum trees. The plums were ripening nicely. Some had gone over but others were green or half green/half yellow. Happily there were also plenty of perfectly ripe yellow ones too. I hung around and picked a few but ate them all before long. Didn't last long.

Later on I saw an apple tree but couldn't reach them.

There were plenty of nicely ripe elderberry trees too. Some weren't ripe with green mixed in with some ripe berries. Other trees were one mass of ripe elderberries. Masses and masses of them.

Also saw shaggy ink cap (edible I believe) and some other interesting things to see. It was the first time in absolutely ages that I have done a low level walk through fields and along canals. I found it a revelation in that you see a lot more at low level as every turn has a new view and new , interesting things to see. I spent the whole walk with one eye on the hedges and the other looking out across the field at the view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE