West Coast Scotland - Recommendations Sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Hello all, title says it all.

I've never been to the area before, and would really appreciate any recommendations.

Ideas running through my head so far include:

• Canoeing - where's good for a 2 nighter, any rental nearby?
  • Bothying - desperate to try a 2 night expedition;
  • Culture - art galleries, festivals;
  • Old stuff - churches, castles, earth works;
  • Whisky - I'm a sucker for a single malt, and it sounds like a good excuse to fit in an island or 2.

Really appreciate any advice.

TIA

Alex

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Ayrshire, Argyll all the way to Mallaig all contain nearly all of the above.
Don't visit Islay stay away, your liver and nose will thank you.
Kilmartin Glen north of the Crinan canal, is worth a few hours for Neolithic and Bronze Age artifacts.
Loads to do in Scotland, don't ignore the highlands or lowlands by focusing on the west.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
This is a good site: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ and should help you plan a little with the history side.

I don't know much about paddling but I think you could hire in Fort William (Ellis Brigham?) then head out to the Mallaig area. The area around Lochailort has lots of places to launch & you can hug the coast & camp out. The old fishing village of Peanmeanach could be a good option to paddle to or walk to - only one building remains now as a Bothy: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/peanmeanach.shtml

Fort William is a bit run down these days but there's lots to do in the area.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
For whiskey distllerys you cannot go wrong with the Isle of Mull, with five Single Malts, and very generous sampling, especially at Ardbeg, we visited a couple of years ago and the place was closed, someone came out from the house and went into the distillery apparently for some ingredients for his wife to do some baking for a child's party, we asked if the distillery was not open to visitors? He said he would be out in a minute. He brought out a tray with about Eight glasses and
a 3/4 full litre bottle of Whiskey for us to share, there were five cyclists my wife and I, none of them could have very much , and my Wife was driving, so I had a Ball to myself, we were told to take as much as we liked. I got really ******
and on the way back, I claimed up the walls of an old church, when I saw it when I was sober, I could not believe I had
been up there. There is plenty of opportunity to wild camp in Scotland, as long it is done responsibly, removing litter
and respecting the privacy of others, not lighting fires without the landowners permission, and away from cattle and
farmland .

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There's canoe hire on Loch Lomond(from the boatyard at Balmaha).
...and Loch Tay(from the shop in Killin).
Tiso in Glasgow hire them too, I think they include inflatable roofbars should you need them.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Depending on your canoeing experience, why not consider doing the river Spey descent. Pretty sure there are hire places up there too. Pretty much covers all your expectations, whisky, history/landmarks etc. just bear in mind you are fast approaching midge season, especially bad on west coast, so bear that in mind, they can make a canoe camp trip hell if you ain't prepared (get a Beaton midge jacket!).

Steve.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Ayrshire, Argyll all the way to Mallaig all contain nearly all of the above.
Don't visit Islay stay away, your liver and nose will thank you.
Kilmartin Glen north of the Crinan canal, is worth a few hours for Neolithic and Bronze Age artifacts.
Loads to do in Scotland, don't ignore the highlands or lowlands by focusing on the west.

Kilmartin is one of my favorate places :)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
For whiskey distllerys you cannot go wrong with the Isle of Mull, with five Single Malts, and very generous sampling, especially at Ardbeg, we visited a couple of years ago and the place was closed, someone came out from the house and went into the distillery apparently for some ingredients for his wife to do some baking for a child's party, we asked if the distillery was not open to visitors? .

I think you mean Islay :) And whisky :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE