Welsh Sweet Spot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The Welsh say "We'll Keep A welcome in the hillside" and for the wanderer who is prepared to go that extra mile they have something rather special hidden away at the end of a long road....
IMAG2571.jpgIMAG2572.jpg

In an area better known for its acre upon acre on monolithic spruce there exists a place so dam nice that I felt ashamed to walk through it with my boots on. Young Oaks, Beech, fresh ferns, lush grass gently mowed by the occasional passing sheep and for the footsore a lake to paddle in.
IMAG2599.jpgIMAG2600.jpgIMAG2607.jpgIMAG2608.jpg

Sweet clear water streams flowing from the high ground, none of that murky brown stuff from the drainage ditch.
f2996288.jpgf3025856.jpg

The weather on Friday was just glorious and the remains of the afternoon rolled by dreamily after a large glug of brandy in my coffee following the grisly business of blister surgery. My boots having not quite broken-in as I had hoped. Weary from the hike getting there just threw the sleeping bag down on the poncho and nodded off for the night. A few hours later in the early hours I'm cursing my laziness having a minor panic scrabbling for the tarp as the rain came down with vengeance.

Saturday was dead day. Grey & soggy and though decidedly inclement it wasn't too bad where I was with drizzle some mist nothing I'm not used too. However going further afield meant passing over higher ground and that looked decidedly ugly, plus my feet hurt and that's a recipe for a miserable disaster.
IMAG2614.jpgIMAG2615.jpg

What the Met Office calls low cloud is awfully close when you are 300meters above sea level and with my route home taking me up over top at 500m decided to stay put and explore where I was. Even with wet-weather gear I was eventually soaked and holed up doing the poncho & candle routine, had it been any worse towards evening then I almost certainly would of said Sod It and had a proper fire on the ground. Instead made do with an improvised 'Swedish' candle standing foot long branches into an Ikea hobo stove, bit lively but very toasty.

IMAG2618.jpg

Sunday all was well in the world again with the return of sunshine.
IMAG2579.jpg
Well almost, the bitey insects were out in force and immune to the Poundland bug-spray. Aside from that my wet gear was steaming in the morning sun, blisters were still annoying but had stopped stinging. Having done little on Saturday save putter about, eat and sleep was rested and ready for new scenery though staying another day was seriously tempting. A short three hour haul into the high forest later that afternoon I'm back in more familiar territory for my last night.
f3054016.jpg

With only four trains a day out of the town timing is everything. With the final leg on Monday being a relatively short downhill stretch along forestry tracks to the train station being way more pleasant than a ten mile dash!

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Bishop,

Nice One - well done, it's good to see/hear of bushcrafties making the effort to trek out into the green with their gear. :approve:

Re quick set-up shelters: I don't know what your views on hextarps are (a bit like when I used to just set up a tent fly and kip beneath that) but I'm sold on them after the recent weather events. Might be worth a look at my recent post.

Re the mozzis - :mosquitos: (and indirectly related to the style of shelter in that recent post) I've been using 'Incognito' for a few years now - soap; spray; roll-on and since last year their 'incense sticks' (citronella) all to good effect.

Interestingly, one of those sticks placed just inside the tarpee seems to clear everything out of it in minutes and they last almost an hour :)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Thankyou Jaeger.
No car so no choice but to get as close as I can by train or bus then hoof it into ( and hopefully out of ) the wild spaces. As for shelter systems much as I adore and trust my BA basha in some conditions they are less than ideal. In hindsight I should of packed my DD 3x3 but that's sods law. Hextarps however are an interesting possibility, the Gatewood Cape (Poncho/Tent) for instance from Six Moon Designs caught my attention.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Bishop,

I used a poncho/basher throughout my military service. The versatility of it as a basher and the almost bomb proof weather protection as a stationary use garment shouldn't be ignored. On the move though they can suffer from condensation and through woodland with a cluttered under-story a pain in the a...

Notably towards the end of my mil service I made a single pole, hextarp type shelter out of redundant IPK sheets and modified pegs but never could get the seams water tight (6 panels). I'd based the design on the fly sheet of an old bell tent!

The design by Philster featured in my recent hextarp post(s) reduces the prob to just one (canopy) seam and as the whole set up closes down so small and is relatively light carrying it and an alternative H20 proof outer garment (even a poncho!) is no issue. (squaddies don't just get issued a poncho!)

If you think about it, if you set up a basher using a poncho - and then go walk-about in the locality and it rains - you might need an extra H20 proof outer anyway so the separate shelter and jacket option is arguably more versatile than the poncho/basher.

PS - some nice scenery in your images.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
True, when it comes to wet weather gear in Wales you can never carry enough.
But oh when it's hot even the dragons take refuge in the dark forest!

f2758144-crop.jpgIMAG2576.jpgIMAG2583.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2581.jpg
    IMAG2581.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Looks like a good weekend, i use skin so soft and smidge when the mozzies are out and they both seem to help a bit.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE