Welding mask in the sun

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
3,257
48
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a reaction welding mask - it is clear until the welding flash starts then it goes dark.

Was doing some welding on the weekend, it was fairly sunny with the sun shining over my head and into the mask. Several times I had the feeling the mask wasn't darkening - the flash from arc was coming through bright enough to be dazzling.

The mask is set to the most sensitive and darkest settings.

Could it be because the sun was behind me?
 
I find the sun can often mess with my mask when it's bright out, the arc and the sun aren't much different brightness wise and when they are contending with each other the mask gets confused. I usually only use an adjusting mask when under cover in the shade.

If I'm in the bright sun I'll just use a fixed glass mask because its usually bright enough then to vaguely see whats happening anyway :)
 
Useful info, thanks. I only have a very crappy fixed glass mask (came free with the cheap welder), doesn't stay on my head well.

Might try shading the work area if I can.
 
Aye Up Mrcharly,

I used to get this problem when welding outdoors.

I cobbled together a couple of chami leathers to make a spark resistant flap attached to the top of the mask at the rear and which hangs down the back of my head to block the sun from behind, works a treat. :)
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE