Welding mask in the sun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a reaction welding mask - it is clear until the welding flash starts then it goes dark.

Was doing some welding on the weekend, it was fairly sunny with the sun shining over my head and into the mask. Several times I had the feeling the mask wasn't darkening - the flash from arc was coming through bright enough to be dazzling.

The mask is set to the most sensitive and darkest settings.

Could it be because the sun was behind me?

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I find the sun can often mess with my mask when it's bright out, the arc and the sun aren't much different brightness wise and when they are contending with each other the mask gets confused. I usually only use an adjusting mask when under cover in the shade.

If I'm in the bright sun I'll just use a fixed glass mask because its usually bright enough then to vaguely see whats happening anyway :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Useful info, thanks. I only have a very crappy fixed glass mask (came free with the cheap welder), doesn't stay on my head well.

Might try shading the work area if I can.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Mrcharly,

I used to get this problem when welding outdoors.

I cobbled together a couple of chami leathers to make a spark resistant flap attached to the top of the mask at the rear and which hangs down the back of my head to block the sun from behind, works a treat. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE