Weekend in the woods with nephew

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Managed to get a few days away to play in teh woods recently. Christopher the young lad in the photos is my 13 yr old nephew, crackin lad, not many lads that age can hold a conversation with a group of adults round the fire.

Chris has been out with me a few times and its brilliant how quickly he manages to learn new skills. This weekend was shelter building with some rifle shooting, knife skills and hunting thrown in. Chris also managed to do some cooking and washingup (under protest mind )

This is Chris practicing with the rifle, bloody good shot he is too. Not quite upto taking game yet but getting there quickly. We went out for some pigeon as it was our last night and didnt want anything tricky to prepair. Bloody typical that we were ttripping over feasant and bunnies on route!

sniper1.jpg

sniper2.jpg

Brekky

breakfast.jpg

New bed for Chris. Hazel and wych elm to hold the slats in place.

bed1.jpg

Kira after a hard night on the Rum, oh and maknig sure my bed is ok

rumdogmillionaire.jpg

Chris and his first pine resin torch

IMAG0259.jpg

The ancient art of getting the billy can bread oven out of the fire with an axe.

leonkiraandchris.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics folks.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Looks like a fun time!

With the air rifle shooting, you might want to consider resting a hand on something solid, then cradling the stock in the hand. I find that works better with spring rifles.

Have fun!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a fun time!

With the air rifle shooting, you might want to consider resting a hand on something solid, then cradling the stock in the hand. I find that works better with spring rifles.

Have fun!

I will try that thanks :)
We did do a few shooting positions but the rifle is pretty heavy for him.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff dwardo, good to see the young un taking an interest.

I have a 11 year old nephew who's keen to come out with me but his mum's not so keen just yet, and they live over 200 miles away. One day though.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
With the air rifle shooting, you might want to consider resting a hand on something solid, then cradling the stock in the hand.

I second this, i wish every one who shot with us learnt to shoot with i bipodless springer, you are a much more versitile shot learning that way, because you you dont rely on being on the pod all the time. Saying that i always have one on the centrefire so im a fine one to talk :D Also try teaching to lean on a good stick about as tall as him, really usefull for bunny bashing. Hope im not being rude :) Looks like a cracking trip had by all, i think its much nicer if you can camp and hunt, tbh my favourite way, oh and loving the bed ;)

Sam

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I second this, i wish every one who shot with us learnt to shoot with i bipodless springer, you are a much more versitile shot learning that way, because you you dont rely on being on the pod all the time. Saying that i always have one on the centrefire so im a fine one to talk :D Also try teaching to lean on a good stick about as tall as him, really usefull for bunny bashing. Hope im not being rude :) Looks like a cracking trip had by all, i think its much nicer if you can camp and hunt, tbh my favourite way, oh and loving the bed ;)

Sam

Hey not being rude at all, a stick may help with the weight of the rifle for the lad. I was actually a better shot with my bow but thats not allowed over here :rolleyes:
Nice pics.

What gun set up is it?

Its our kids rifle, a weirach 95K 2.2, scoper is a silver antler, covered in sniper tape. The sniper tape is wonderfull stuff, dirt, water and knock proof. We were out for 4 rainy days and the tape kept the worst of the weather out when it was not bagged. When you remove the tape it leaves no sticky residue behind and the rifle is spotless :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
cheers for the pics mate!

my nephew has just turned 10 - havent seen him yet as i have been away at uni.
i think he's now old enough for his first knife! :D

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE