Weekend in the lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
Dear all,

This coming weekend I am going to the lake district for my birthday, I'm planning on climbing Helvellyn (weather pending) but I also wanted to try my hand at a bit of foraging. I have a basic knife, a multi-tool flip out kit and that's about it at the moment.

I was wondering, what is there that is foragable (not fungi, I don't want to touch them without proper training) and what are the possibilities of bagging something like a rabbit/squirrel or grabbing a fish or two? I'll actually initially be up near Castlerigg area, so Derwent water is my closest lake until I get to Glenridding in which case it will be Ullswater.

Thanks for any help,

Kipper

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Derwent water is I believe a day ticket water, Pike perch and trout in there (but you'll have to check on the regs for what you can take) all will take the simplest of spinner/spoon (wire trace & 15lb+ line, net, mat & suitable unhooking tools is you're after the Pike please!) and boats can be hired too, not easy I believe but a nice place to waste a day!
Ullswater is free (I think) and is alleged to hold NO pike, its a decent perch and trout water but tends to noticably switch right off around this time of year, so best of luck!

You might want to ask around in the local shops and see if you can't get access to a little stream, would probably be a better bet with trout and grayling for you to bother.

Obviously you need landowners permission to hunt for any ground game.............. or just get some nice leafy things instead!

Hope that helps

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Last weekend had a walk for an hour and got enough damsons to make 2 bottles of damson gin and a load of blackberries. Think seasonal ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE