Wee Wander

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Evening :)

Went for a wander this evening with the dog, bimble up the local woods, not been up there for about a week and already you can see the Forrest floor bursting with life lots of greenery and leave growth.

Anyhoo, The path leads to the next village but i decided since i was in no hurry to explore some of the dead end paths that nobody really goes down.

I hadn't planned on taking any pictures but had my phone with camera, stopped to look at a hazel shaft that had some sort of ivy or honey suckle growing up it, I recalled at the ayrshire meet wayland having a very Gandalf ish walking stick i liked that had a twist effect created in it by something like this.

3519618794_fb1e3c4040.jpg

Anyhoo there where a few more like it, but none to far gone to make a nice walkin stick out of but ill check back in the future, twas when i turned round i saw something shiny ooh shiny in the hollow of a tree, at about shoulder height at the back side of the path was a fairly large kitchen knife,
3518803857_c285a5c37a.jpg

This prompted me to take the photo and to start the post :) so I was wondering what i should do with it, as it was damp but warm i had no jacket just long sleeved top, so no where to safely conceal it and didn't want to be seen coming out the woods with a large knife, nor did i want my (me PARANOID NOOO :AR15firin ) fingerprints on it :) after having looked around for 6ft by 2ft mole hills. I left it.

To make the post worthwhile I took a few more piccies, the other dead end trail leads to an old building, is about 16feet long, by about 12 feet tall and 6feet wide, the woman next door told me there used to be an old man that lived up there for years but ive heard tails like that from loads of other people about their woods, perhaps that's what happens to BCUK'ers when the go "offline" for a bit...

3519619290_e8c91589e8.jpg

Unfortunately its a bit of a underage drinking den, chased off the streets for drinking they turn to the woods.
3518809445_e0def9d19b.jpg

And I found some fungi on the way back?
3519617652_34b8aa79f4.jpg

Not the most exciting post in the world, bit off the cuff mainly spurred on by the fact I saw the kitchen knife stashed in the tree. I will probably go back this week with some garden gloves and a bag and discard it.

Stoo.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not the most exciting post in the world, bit off the cuff mainly spurred on by the fact I saw the kitchen knife stashed in the tree. I will probably go back this week with some garden gloves and a bag and discard it.

You could, or hand it in to your local police folks, in case it's been used in something it shouldn't. If you are spotted removing and getting rid of it, not exactly the most easy thing to explain your way out of...

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Cool photos, really like the little building. Cheers for sharing.

regards,
Rob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Stoo

Some ned's probably nicked it out of his mums kitchen draw after watching a bit of Bear or Ray on the telly.
Probably worth a call to your local station although I doubt they'll go and recover it in a hurry.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice wander Stoo :D good photos too :cool:

Ditto what folks have said on the knife. Planked like that ? :dunno:

The building kind of looks like the upper part of an old ice house.....might be a mortuary structure :confused: ? That stonework wasn't cheap though, even if the new door is utter tosh.

Find an os map of the area, it ought to be on that.

cheers,
M

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You could, or hand it in to your local police folks, in case it's been used in something it shouldn't. If you are spotted removing and getting rid of it, not exactly the most easy thing to explain your way out of...

I'm a bit of a rude git, eh? Nothing about 'thanks for sharing' or anything.. lol :eek:

Well thanks for sharing! Looks to be a lovely bit of woods there. Not sure about Toddys possible ice house, I'd have thought it would have had a 'basement' dug into it,to keep it cooler? My shroom ID skills are second to none - and by that I mean I nearly have absolutely none! :lmao:However is that a couple of Dyrad Saddles?

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the replies, not had a chance to go back up there yet, I will pop into the local station and mention it and have it on the record saying that if stoo is found coming out the woods with blood stained murder weapon thingy its all arite :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Stooboy,
slightly off topic but on an estate I used to work on there was a yew tree (tree of death/evil) that had a hollow out of which a rowan ( good luck / protector from evil) was growing, have a pic somewhere but made me stop and think.
On another note we clean the village rivers out twice a year and last year I pulled a kitchen knif out of the river and bined it, though as it was under the bridge that the lorries use to park up I wish I'd handed it in.
We live and learn
Goatboy.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I was told by a local historian that that wee brick building was the explosive store for the quarry that its located in :D its a fine walk up there been there a few times :)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I was told by a local historian that that wee brick building was the explosive store for the quarry that its located in :D its a fine walk up there been there a few times :)

Ahhh, makes sense. I wasn't sure if that was a man made quarry or not :) is very overgrown now, i was meaning to investigate further.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent, I couldn't work out what else that roof style could be for :D and it explains the good stonework too.

cheers Russ,

atb,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As said by Mary and Russ,
At Culzean there's an ice house in the wood near the pond,ice was taken off the pond and stored in a large cellar .

There's also an explosive store atop one of the cliffs that housed same for the cannons.

Similar features to your building.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE