weaving with Flag Iris or pendulous sedge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The leaves of both Flag Iris and Pendulous Sedge both look like they should be good for weaving baskets or rope making.
Has anyone tried them?
Any hints or tips?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Let the flag iris wither before you use it. I know that they cut the leaves for commercial use abroad, but I pull mine off from the outside of the corm and work in.
I find it makes brilliant rope, and it makes really good twinned basketry. Not quite soft rush type, but still along those lines.

Haven't used the pendulous sedge for anything but food and string making.

cheers,
Mary

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Flag iris leaves are great for twined baskets, what Toddy says about drying them first. If you dry them completely, wrap them in a wet towel for 20 minutes or so and they will soften and become pliable. I haven't tried pendulous sedge.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
We have a fair bit of the Iris ground around our neck of the woods, I was wondering, just how much roughy would you need for a decent sized gathering basket as I would love to make one :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE