We love wool - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does anyone have any experience of the clothing made by this bunch of New Zealanders? Anyone know anything about them? I quite like the look of the shorter, unhooded model as a full-zip alternative to a Swanni. Usefully, Tamarack have them in stock.

Any help gratefully received - thanks in anticipation!

Richard

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
not tried one myself i have swanni instead but we love wool are suppose to be itchy and the wool isnt as good quality, this is only wot iv heard though.
you cant go wrong with swanndri though
ash

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a Swanni that I bought in N.Z. and, while I quite like it, I'm not so keen on the stumpy zip closure which creeps undone when worn, neither do the two flapped chest pockets appeal much. I just reckoned that a full zipped woolly top would tick boxes about ventilation, and therefore versatility, and I liked the look of the hand warmer pockets on the We Love Wool top.

If anyone knows any more/has any experience of them, I'd love to hear! Thanks.

Apr 3, 2006
Otley
Swanni now make their gear in China and there's a cartload of quality problems as a result. I'd give the WeLoveWool guys a try. If their stuff is genuinely made in NZ it should be much better quality. Yes, the wool will be "itchy" - why would you want superfine stuff? You wont be wearing this next to your skin. It needs to be a coarder grade to be hardwearing enough for an outer.

hedgedruid

Jun 23, 2011
East Lancashire UK
Bought one recently and haven't had any probs in our wonderful wet and cool late spring . Doesn't seem quite as thick as son's swanni but swanni shirt i bought a couple of years ago seems very poor quality ( still expensive ) was told swanni production moved to china . I'm happy with my Bushmate . ( got it 1/2 price in Tamarrac sale - even better )

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fill something that you can leave full of water overnight with just warm water. Then add two or three capfuls of fabric conditioner. It'll take a bit of work to soak a wool shirt thoroughly, but with gentle, and I do mean gentle, you don't want to felt it, sappeling you can get it thorougly wetted and soaking. Leave it overnight, drain and then let it drain somewhere like the bath. Don't wring it out but gently squeeze and when the worst of the water is out wrap it up between a couple of the biggest towels you have and then twist. Lay out flat, straightening pocket flaps and collar, etc., and let it dry.

Greatly increases the showerproofness, eases the itchiness.....and leaves you smelling lovely :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE