waterprofing wool

mallory

Apr 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi, my name is Mallory and I made a wonderful wool and fleese cloak. I plan on wearing it out in the wilderness when I go camping with SCA, so I need it to be waterproof. Does anyone know of a cheep and eazy way to do this?
Please let me know
Mallory

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The historical way to "waterproof" wool is by leaving the lanolin in place. You can buy treatments where you add the lanolin back, but Toddy here uses baby-oil, thus avoiding the "miasma of sheep".. There was a thread on this topic a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I would go with the last comment or an alternative I think Nikwax do a wool proof as well (If you can get this in the USA that is)

Last edited:

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Go to a pharmasy and ask for the kind of stuff women smear on their nipples when breastfeeding to avoid sore nipples. Some kind of nipple ointment.
Most of these are made of 100% pure lanolin, except that the distinct smell of sheep is removed.
I have a tube named Medela Purelan 100. It is a great product, good for anything from greasing fishing reels and dry lips to waterproofing leather and wool.
Should be found in the tool drawer of every bushcrafter with respect for himself:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE