Watering can to Kettle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Use a bucket and don't worry about the Galv, it won't do you any harm...Unless you manage to burn it off at high temperature, which will be difficult on an open fire with it full of water. Hot and cold water systems in houses are still done with Galvanised pipework, hot water cylinders were also made from galvanised steel.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Cheers for that chaps. The galvanised issue is a bit of a concern. Obviously the water will get hotter than a household boiler can make it. The watering can is preferable to a bucket as a bucket doesn't have a spout.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Cheers for that chaps. The galvanised issue is a bit of a concern. Obviously the water will get hotter than a household boiler can make it. The watering can is preferable to a bucket as a bucket doesn't have a spout.

But you could use a large ladle or dip your cup straight in.

It won't get any hotter than 100 degrees C, and a household boiler could raise water to 100 degrees C as well, all day everyday people drink water from systems with Galvanised pipework, and lead, and Asbestos, so I doubt that a "kettle" on an occasional weekend camping is going to be much if any problem at all.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Still reckon spout trumps ladle. And there's a good reason why lead and asbestos are no longer used in plumbing. And I don't like the idea of giving water boiled in galvanised containers to paying clients.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ah, more information makes the answer different...

Have you thought about a dairy supply company and getting a stainless steel bucket or pouring jug.

http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Hand_Milking.html

Stainless watering can... http://www.tesco.com/direct/fallen-..._cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CLLOzunZlrgCFQTMtAod9m4AGg

There are still a lot of places with asbestos and lead piping, once the slime has formed on the inside of a pipe it is not that big a risk, my own house has a Galv water supply from the foot path behind my house.

It is soft water areas that cause trouble with lead pipes, but if you run for a minute before use it is no longer a problem as the solvent lead is washed out. I still see Asbestos storage vessels in roof spaces feeding water into peoples domestic plumbing.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Or maybe this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-L...t-thing-Diamond-Dairy-Cream-Can-/370812875303

$T2eC16hHJHwE9n8ikMw8BRjQwfH3og~~60_1.JPG

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
A picture I have just found showing the three methods of getting water hot, the two gallon galvanised bucket, a three pint aluminium kettle, and an ammunition box being used for a pressure cooker, about 8 minutes and half a dozen tins are nice and hot.

7184069218_d98c663e3e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE