Waterborne Viruses

I know we should bring water to a rolling boil for 5 minutes to kill all the nasties but what if for some reason a fire is not practical, you have a filter that will take out 99% of all the bacteria ,giardia etc but not viruses..is the threat of an illness from a waterborne virus that likely in the UK?

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Hi mate.

Ive never had problems with water in the uk. What you said is totally right boil for 5 mins.

I just make sure I collect my water as close as I can to the source and walk for about a mile up stream checking for nice green folage,clean rocks and no dead sheep lol.

Thats about all the info I can offer from what I know,I am in no way a professional.

Best Of Luck

P.s Good to see another northern irish person here :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
redneck,

There certainly are water borne viruses in the UK. A rolling boil is sufficient if the water isn't turbid (cloudy), five minutes is not required. If a fire is not practical there are plenty of chemicals that can be used - predominantly chlorine and iodine based - that will kill viruses. I did a write up on all the water purification techniques a while back called "The Science of Water" - hopefully that may answer any other questions you have.

Regards - Red

redneck,

There certainly are water borne viruses in the UK. A rolling boil is sufficient if the water isn't turbid (cloudy), five minutes is not required. If a fire is not practical there are plenty of chemicals that can be used - predominantly chlorine and iodine based - that will kill viruses. I did a write up on all the water purification techniques a while back called "The Science of Water" - hopefully that may answer any other questions you have.

Regards - Red

Thanks Red, I'll do a search for it!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Crypto is one ofthe main risks in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidium

And Wiels Disease

Just to clarify, cryptosporidium is a protazoa and Wiels Disease is bacterial. Typically no single method, deals with all water bourne comtaminants. Boiling does for everything other than heavy metals though. For viruses you need a chemical treatment of some sort, or UV. There are quite a few purifiers on the market that use a combination of stages to remove protozoa, cysts, bacteria and viruses. I like the Aquapure type, mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but there are others. The addition of a chemical stage makes these more expensive than plain filters and in many areas in the UK they are probably not needed. I have used a MSR Miniworks filter in the Lake District, Dartmoor and west of Scotland without problems.

Viruses in the water tend to be a product of decaying (virally diseased) bodies, or fecal contamination from a disease carrier and these aren't that common in the wilder area of the UK. Not sure I would trust the Thames though :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE