waterbladder with opening on the top

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Platypus. They take a tremendous amount of hard wear, don't break the bank to buy and they last for many years :D

cheers,
M

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I've made a few "water skins" for re-enactment in the past.

Find a 3 litre (or smaller) wine box - drink the wine - recover - cut the plastic tap out (or leave it if you arent worried about it for re-enactment purposes.

Cover in leather - stitch the leather around the plastic ring that is now your opening.

Use a bored bung (from your old home brew kit) in the hole (it fits perfectly!)

Find an appropriately sized dowel and use this to bung the hole in the bung (thus making a bunged bung :)

About £14 gets you a bladder to use AND a tipple too - you can even buy the wine for SWMBO and earn some brownie points from something that you want to make.

All the best
Dave

(sorry I have no pics - might take some of the next one I make if I ever get around to it!)

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I agree with Toddy on the Platypus, plus they take a patch well. I treat them gently and they tend to be kept in an old ditty bag for a little more protection. Also the threads for the cap are 28mm which mate with many bottle caps and a small water filter that I use.

There are a few makers of "mylar hydration reservoirs", the ones that come with free wine are nice. As long as the outer bag is smaller and tougher than the inner bag, it's difficult to pop. Sales reps would fill one up and then stand on it to demonstrate.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I would recommend Source. They don't need a patch as they are more durable. I've had platypus, camelback and source for years. I've had so many of each make but my source bladder lasted about 3 timnes longer than the others. I am currently using a platypus but only because I left my bladder behind and needed one but the only shop I had time to get to only sold platypus's. I HAD to get it, wouldn't of if I'd had a choice. However if you have trouble finding source then the newer Platypus big zip bladders have got a lot more durable thant previous ones.

Please note that Source make bladders for a load of other companies such as Inov8, and hydration pack manufacturers to sell with the pack. A review in a walking mag a couple of years ago had a massive review of about 30 different manufacturers of bladders. The interesting thing was that most of them looked exactly the same. Not surprising because they were all made by source!. I think that tells a story, either source are bladder whores or they are the best. All I know is they are the only ones to have my whole weight on them without leaking. I'm not a heavy person but the 85-90kg loading on the bladder is quite a pressure to resist. Probably explains why it only lasted another month or two. Tip 1 don't stand on your drinks bladder.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I'm looking to get a new bladder, but I'm trying to find one that is more plasticy than rubbery, if that makes sense. I currently have one of the soft touch rubbery ones, smooth on the inside, feels a little more matt on the outside. teh problem is, it never feels clean, even when cleaned with boiling water and strilising tablets, it feels almost slimy whcih always worries me, I don't want to get sick on a hike. even though I KNOW its clean!

or I think I've seen pipes that attach to standard squash bottles so I can use them instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE