water sports safety knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
not exactly bushcraft, but still outdoor related, i am a keen dingy sailor and instructor, as such i am required to carry a safety knife.

i have a folding safety knife, but it is difficult to open with one hand if at all.

my main boat is a laser 4000, (semi skiff), as i would like to take it down to the coast this year i was wondering if any one can reccommend knives to attach to the boat and a replacement for my personal one.

as per usual i am on a very tight budget.
thanks Lonja

edit: atm i have this one http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/cabl...ife-with-hooked-net-cutter-nose.htm?p2606-s7-

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a canoe coach and carry a "Stiff-Kiss" (yeah - I know...) which I modded to have a hardwood handle and made a sheath that fits discretely onto the left shoulder of my buoyancy aid.
I also have a half serrated bladed folder in one of the pockets of the BA as back-up ...and a home made fixed blade in my grab bag for shore based activities ....
If I was to buy a new safety knife I would be looking at a slim, skeletonised stainless steel, double edged (one straight one serrated perhaps) fixed blades of about 3" blades.
I might contemplate a plastic handled knife ...but not wooden (too much maintainance after long swims!) and definately a plastic sheath that could mount on my BA to be reached by either hand (left chest or shoulder for me) but not looking too obvious or Ramboesque.
Some of the ranges rsold by Whitby and co - www.whitbyandco.co.uk - look fairly useful....

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
At £4 for one of the blue-handled (Mora) rigger's knife, snap the end off. Neatly.
Too much emphasis on the "very tight budget" part?
They're popular on North Sea back decks, if that counts as a recommendation.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
Kent Canoes isn't too far from you and they have increased their range of stock in the past few months including safety knifes i replaced my rope cutter on my ba with a £15 knife

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
There used to be available a knife similar to the Bear Claw but bigger; about 9". It also had a single large cork scale attached to one side of the tang. This knife could be taped snugly, by the blade, to any flat surface, eg. side of tiller or cockpit, and just twisted out thru' the tape when required.
A Dutch single-hander advised me against a folding safety knife on the grounds that when it gets to the emergency cutting stage in a small boat, you need at least one hand to hold on with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE