Water pepper - Polygonum Hydropiper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
One for Jakunen possibly or anyone who knows....

Water pepper..... I've tried this many times but usually just a leaf at a time. (if you've tried it you'll know why. There's a hint in the name) What I wanted to know is can it be used to spice up wild stews in larger quantities or added to salads, soups etc. Is eating larger quantities going to bad for me or is it quite safe ? Can i use it to stuff fish etc. I've used ramsons and 'Jack by the hedge' for a bit of garlicy tang but want to go for a bit of heat too. Cheers :super:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In Scots this is known as Hot arsemart :)
Kinda says it all really....oh and I get a really nice yellow dye from it!
The plant, that is :lol:

Toddy

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
It's actually cultivated for use as a spice, the seeds are also used ground.
It's in oxalix acid so I'd stay away if you've got gout or kidney trouble.

Supposedly good for treating diarrhea.....

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Sorry mistyped - Oxalic acid, the same stuff as is found in rhubarb leaves, sorrel etc It's harmless in small doses but tends to bang out of solution in the wrong places like joints and kidneys if you're prone to gout or kidney stones.

The link you mentioned comments on its use in cookery, and I've seen it in several seed catalogues. It's never occured to to taste this one. I'll give it a try.

Realgar

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
a word of caution (Correct me if I'm wrong Realgar) it resembles Dog Mercury before it comes into flower so be very careful. The Water pepper leaves are more willow shaped though and it comes out much later than Dog Mercury. I found loads of Dog Mercury whilst out yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE