Water filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Very well! The Lord of Bushcraft uses them and British Forces issue them in survival kits, so that's a pretty good recommendtion too. I always carry the lightweight "disposable" version in my possibles kit.

Ted W

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, they're standard issue in all Nato survival kits now, I believe. The disposable pocket one is really small and light. I'm sure I read somewhere that independent testing has shown it to be effective for over twice the rated volume, assuming you're not taking it from an open sewer.

The downsides are that it's a bit pricey if you work out the cost per litre, it has a fairly low throughput and it makes your water taste of iodine. Although the last is a feature, not a bug, as it provides better sterilisation. You should leave the filtered water for at least a couple of minutes to allow this to happen. Neutralising tabs (or vitamin C) will reduce the iodine taste.

In short, it's a reliable source of safe water than you can carry in your pocket. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Having a bit of deja vu here!! Odd...

ANyway, I have looked at them and thought them a bit pricey compared to the MSR Miniworks filter which retails at about £70-80 and has a cleanable filter but is good for many more litres before it needs it compared to the Pre Mac! It does about a litre a minute in use (my mate has one) and is good in all circumstances and lightweight. Just because Ray Mears doesn't use it, doesn't mean it's rubbish......

See here for a comparison:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/products.asp?pg=141

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE