Water Filter Help

U

unamodo

Hi guys, I am hoping somebody could shed some light on water filtration/purification for me?

I have been using a combination of MSR Miniworks EX to filter water when gathering it and then give it a dose with an MSR MIOX before leaving it for 4 hours to (Hopefully) kill everything else.

So far I have had no ill effects from using this system but am wondering how effective boiling water is???

Could I, for example just scoop a cup of water from a stream / river / reservoir and boil it for 5 minutes to kill all nasties??

The reason I am asking is my young son is starting to spend time out with me and I will not risk his water supply.

Alternativly, will using the MSR miniworks to gather water and then rolling 5 minutes boild be effective??

Many thanks in advance and if you have time, would you be willing to share your purifcation / filtration methods?

Regards

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i dont know what this msr thing is what you have.but personally i just filter the water eg get the bits out then i boil it .Different sources say different times for boiling but personally i always boil about 5 mins.Four hours for a drink seems like a long thirsty wait to me.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Andy's link is the one to read. British Red has done a good job of covering the various questions and answers that always crop up. 4 hours, really? Seems a little overboard imo, but each to their own and all that.

Nag.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Reds article is very good. if you have any doubts about the water then my advice is to take it from home. Take water bottles / bags etc. The advantage is that your load gets lighter. Be frugal in the your use of water, cooking, drinking etc. Cut out washing and other non esentials. If possible get your son to help carry the water, it will help to give him an insight to the outdoor way etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE