Water Carriers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've been checking the threads for info on this topic but can't find much. I'm looking to buy a new water carrier but i am unsure what to go for. I currently use a 1.5l very old 1.5l plastic screw top unbranded rectangular bottle. I'm quite tempted by a 2.0l platypus and also like the look of the 1.0l black nato flasks.

What's the best option?

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I’ve used a 2-litre Platypus with a drinking tube when walking for a few years now and found it excellent, being robust, collapses as you empty it and the drinking tube enables no-fuss, no-stopping drinks as you go. It completely replaced the Sigg or plastic bottles I used before and I don’t expect to go back.

For bushcraft however, I think I’d go with the virtually indestructible army-type waterbottle instead. The Platy, being soft and with a narrow neck is a bit tricky to fill from natural water sources and could be awkward when using a pump-type purifier – I’ve only got 2 hands! Also, for an extended trip the drinking tube of the Platy – its best feature – could be difficult to keep clean. It’s great when you can get back to a kitchen every few days to wash it through, but over weeks it could become an ideal home for bugs, bacteria and mould. Yeuch!!!

Anybody tried it?

Ted W

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi

Loads of options for cleaning camelbaks, platys etc. Use either a spoon of Andrews or bicarbonate of soda, or a tab of sterident or milton (the stuff for cleaning babies bottles)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a standard '58 pattern bottle when on the move, but I keep an empty 2.5L platy in my pack for use in camp. The trick to filling a platy from a natural source is to use the mug on your '58 pattern bottle. If I'm worried about contamination, the water in the bottle gets filtered through a PreMac pocket filter. Water for use in camp just gets boiled.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used this type for years, rolls up small, weighs very little, work very well

eBay item

For a fiver delivered you can't go wrong

J14

Aug 22, 2008
county durham
Iv got a platapuss and NATO water bottle and their great. The platapuss takes up less space as you drink it and you can also get atachments for them.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I have been using camelbacks professionally, and for civilian use the far less expensive "Source"

Camelback is for those with loads of money, and an awkward idea of how "good" filling of the bottle should be.

"Source" is a medical grade plastic bag, holding 1½, 2 or 3 litres. I think you can get them with even more volume. Tubing is medical grade aswell.
The tube is fastened at the bottom, on a sturdy-looking tap. Newer models have a "quick-change" hoselock, much like on a waterhose, only with a lock on it, in metal.

The closure of the bag is like a patent-pharmacists bag, almost like a zip-lock, where you fold the bag over a plastic-pin, and then pull a handle/clamp-thingy over it.

Had my 2 litre source almost 5 years now, and i have not been careful at all with it. In fact i tend to strap it under the lid and put extra pressure on it.
Not to mention the buttons and zip-locks scurring on it there.
Still appears as if it was new, and that to a very affordable price, compared to other makes.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have been using camelbacks professionally, and for civilian use the far less expensive "Source"

Camelback is for those with loads of money, and an awkward idea of how "good" filling of the bottle should be.

"Source" is a medical grade plastic bag, holding 1½, 2 or 3 litres. I think you can get them with even more volume. Tubing is medical grade aswell.
The tube is fastened at the bottom, on a sturdy-looking tap. Newer models have a "quick-change" hoselock, much like on a waterhose, only with a lock on it, in metal.

The closure of the bag is like a patent-pharmacists bag, almost like a zip-lock, where you fold the bag over a plastic-pin, and then pull a handle/clamp-thingy over it.

Had my 2 litre source almost 5 years now, and i have not been careful at all with it. In fact i tend to strap it under the lid and put extra pressure on it.
Not to mention the buttons and zip-locks scurring on it there.
Still appears as if it was new, and that to a very affordable price, compared to other makes.

Where are these source bags available from??

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I don't know avbout UK or abroad. Here in Denmark you can get it from here, amongst others:

2 litre widepack (the one with the zip-lock like closure)

3 litre widepack

The widepack is the one i would recommend, if any. Almost unbreakable, and with close to no moving parts.

On the links i must say that the prices are in Danish Crowns (Danske Kroner)
This roughly equates to 21 and 29 pounds respectively. (if my maths are correct.)

Oh yeah. I might add, that it is very easy to fill the Source bags without any enclosure of air in it, thus removing any irritating sounds from it: You simply fill it over the top, and close it overly filled. The bag doesn't break, and all those weird sounds dissapear.

E

ESLRaven

I've used a platypus and an MSR dromedary for a good few years now.

The platypus is fine - light weight etc, but I'm sure the various brands of similar styles (camelback etc) are all very good as well.

Regarding the dromedary I really must agree with Stuart. Durable yet light, and made with a type of material that soaks up a small amount of water on the surface - thereby functioning to keep the water in the bag cool.

And the MSR filter screws onto the dromedary as well (another good bit of kit!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE