Water bottle question.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I bought a water bottle thingy and found it has an unusual cap. Can anyone explain what its for and how it works?
This is the bottle...
4696770713_9d5f80d668.jpg

It has a small inner screwcap on the lid which on the inside looks like this...
4696770941_7faf050f06.jpg

With the rubber removed the workings of the valve look like this...
4696770497_22c5f7cd35.jpg

It appears to be a one-way valve that only allows fluid to move into the bottle, not out of it.
Any ideas what its for? And what is this type of bottle called?

Z

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's probably to work with a water/saline purification pump for liferafts where spillage would happen if you didn't have the one way valve. Just guessing mind, but it makes sense.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
yeah I wasnt sure if that was fact or speculation ? plus i cant think why you would need to use it to put water in surley you would just remove the cap and pour. :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
That might be a possible purpose. If the drinking straw were pushed into the opening as it was screwed in it might force the valve open. It would be pretty tricky to drink out of - like drinking from a bottle under water.

(I once wore a respirator to a fancy-dress party - I had completey overlooked the question of drinking.)

Z

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That might be a possible purpose. If the drinking straw were pushed into the opening as it was screwed in it might force the valve open. It would be pretty tricky to drink out of - like drinking from a bottle under water.

(I once wore a respirator to a fancy-dress party - I had completey overlooked the question of drinking.)

Z

The respirator I'm familiar with (S10) has an inbuilt flexible straw for drinking. I think most modern resps do now.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
yeah I wasnt sure if that was fact or speculation ? plus i cant think why you would need to use it to put water in surley you would just remove the cap and pour. :)

Yeah, I agree. But I was imagining a choppy sea and a liferaft. Imagine trying to use an osmosis pump with an open bottle and using the other two hands to pump. A one way valve would certainly come in handy, although then you have the problem of pressure and how the air escapes. Oh well. It was a thought.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream

Z

Yeah its not easy ,and would take a day to drink a ltr of water but with the bottle turned upsode down ,it helps force the water out .

mmmmm floating about on the sea in an orange ruber tent ,I hadnt thought of either ,i suppose if it was a marines canteen you might be on to somthing ,but as you say pressure would be an issue ,i think they might use bags to collect the water from an osmosis pump.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Googling has revealed it to be a German canteen and the number on it (MM 79) suggests it is from 1979. Tobes01 sold one on here for £10 last October - I only paid £4 for mine :)

Z

Last edited:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
i'm pretty sure it's for use with the new style German Drager protective masks to drink water from....most NATO countrys now issue protective masks and water bottles you can drink from .....heck even the old east german M-10 protective masks had that device to drink water and could be used with the U.S. M-1 NBC cap on our water bottle....vince g. 11B Inf...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE