Watch repair vs new watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm looking for an occasional wear, workaday watch and have two choices. But a new watch in the £100-200 range, preferably at the lower end of the range. Or get a seiko solar watch working again.

The Seiko was stored for a few years in a drawer. I got it out a few years ago and it wasn't working. I left it in the window to charge and it worked but the second hand moves very erratically. Kind of sticks then moves forward like it's catching up. I put it away at faulty but today I tried again. I'm figuring on leaving it in a sunny window for as long as possible then see what happens. I suspect it won't work.

So does anyone know if the seiko solar watch can be made to work again? Is it simply a new battery that's needed? I mean it went flat in the drawer I guess but surely that's not going to break it?

So fix or replace? Which is the best and / or cheapest option?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Worth finding a watch repair place and asking.
I have used these people to replace a battery in a high end watch and have been very happy. They do repairs by mail.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Most likely a new battery will sort it, won't run on solar alone. Love my Seiko so I'd fix it.
I bought another watch to save my beloved skx from abuse but it's still in the box and the poor old Seiko is covered in scrapes and weld spatter!

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I don't know if it's the same, but when the battery is low on my Seiko Kinetic, the second hand moves in 2-second jumps to indicate it needs charging.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Repair it, relative had a seiko and no one locally were able to repair it. My sister took it to Florida a local jewellers and they repaired it no problem.
I always believe a good watch should be repaired and it will probably have memories to it.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I have an old Gshock solar with a faulty battery. A battery replacement and reseal is around £65, I can buy the battery myself and do it for less than £20, or buy a new watch for £100.
I would rather repair the one I have as the model is no longer available and superceded with a slightly different one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't know if it's the same, but when the battery is low on my Seiko Kinetic, the second hand moves in 2-second jumps to indicate it needs charging.
Exactly this. That's why I'm leaving it on the windowsill. Hopefully it'll charge up eventually. How long before I should give up on this hope? How many days on the windowsill for it to get enough charge to work normally?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My seiko isn't a good one, cheaper end of their range. No memories linked to it, just a tool that I never thought I'd use again until I did that is.

Still, always worth avoiding a consumerist spend if possible!

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a similar issue and was advised to leave it in the sun with the crown pulled out 2 clicks and leave it for 3-4 days, worked in the end!
Good tip with the 2 clicks. One day with the 2 clicks and the second hand moves smoothly.

About a year ago I tried to charge it but didn't know about the 2 clicks. A week plus out didn't charge. This time 2 days without 2 clicks nothing changed, one day with 2 clicks it now works.

So I'm leaving it in the window today and I'll wear it tomorrow as I have another on site work day without my usual smartwatch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE