Wasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I think that sounds ridiculous if not criminal.

How many did you use ?

Thankfully I have never had to use mine. I know that if I present at hospital with anaphylactic shock they'll try antihistamines first, and only if nothing eases will they administer the epi pen.

Mostly I manage fine using anti histamines and an anti inflammatory.

Doesn't stop it hurting, itching like fireants or swelling up like a balloon, but it keeps on top of it.

M

just a point to note

True anaphylactic shock is life threatening and happens in seconds. You almost instantly swell up and your airways close. If you have time to go to the hospital and ‘try antihistamines first’ then sorry but it isn’t anaphylactic shock, it’s an anaphylactic reaction (albeit severe) (although the second time you are exposed to what ever cause the severe reaction it will likely be actual anaphylaxis - hence why people get issued epi-pens)

An epi-pen is only good for actual true anaphylactic shock, and must be injected into a large muscle like the outer aspect of the thigh. Injecting it into someone’s neck is extremely dangerous and a foolhardy thing for someone to do, and to me, indicate a lack of training or knowledge

also Adrenalin given inappropriately can actually do more harm than good

having caused true anaphylaxis in a couple of people now (giving first dose of new drugs etc) I can assure you it goes from me feeling fine to staining my trousers in SECONDS.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
just a point to note

True anaphylactic shock is life threatening and happens in seconds. You almost instantly swell up and your airways close. If you have time to go to the hospital and ‘try antihistamines first’ then sorry but it isn’t anaphylactic shock, it’s an anaphylactic reaction (albeit severe) (although the second time you are exposed to what ever cause the severe reaction it will likely be actual anaphylaxis - hence why people get issued epi-pens)

An epi-pen is only good for actual true anaphylactic shock, and must be injected into a large muscle like the outer aspect of the thigh. Injecting it into someone’s neck is extremely dangerous and a foolhardy thing for someone to do, and to me, indicate a lack of training or knowledge

having caused true anaphylaxis in a couple of people now (giving first dose of new drugs etc) I can assure you it goes from me feeling fine to staining my trousers in SECONDS.
So why did the doctor issue me a epi pen in the 1st place if it was a anaphylactic reaction, it did happen over a 10 minute period,Could this be why they took it off me?
I remember asking my Asthma nurse & she telling me how it could relax my wind pipes & close them up(can’t remember the proper name for them)
Something doesn’t seem right here?
As for my ex injecting into my neck.. what on earth was she thinking, maybe panic or fear set in.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
So why did the doctor issue me a epi pen in the 1st place if it was a anaphylactic reaction, it did happen over a 10 minute period,Could this be why they took it off me?
I remember asking my Asthma nurse & she telling me how it could relax my wind pipes & close them up(can’t remember the proper name for them)
Something doesn’t seem right here?
As for my ex injecting into my neck.. what on earth was she thinking, maybe panic or fear set in.

probably because the first time you have a reaction it is severe but not life threatening, but the second time is likely to be life threatening (I say likely not definitely) do an epi-pen is issued

why they took it off you, and without seeing your medical records I wouldn’t want to speculate, but they wouldn’t have done so without good reason and assessment.

you are probably right re:panic and fear, it is very different seeing a loved one in trouble than a stranger and rational thought often takes a hit

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
just a point to note

You are quite right, and I apologise for being a bit thoughtless in my post.

I was told when I was prescribed the epi pen that I was unlikely to actually need it for the next bad reaction I had because my history simply showed that each one was slightly worse than the last, but the Doctor would prefer that I had the option to hand, especially after the heart fluttery one.
It was a Dermatologist who told me that hospital staff try really hard not to give epinephrine unless absolutely necessary and the usual route was to give intravenous anti histamines first.

So far, I have been very fortunate and managed with anti histamines and anti inflammatories; long may that last; and I really hope you never have another occurrence.

I had bad reactions to both tetanus and flu vaccines and I'm rather dreading the covid-19 one, but Himself says I'm having it, and he'll sit beside me with the epi-pen, just in case :rolleyes3:

Reactions: MrEd

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just a note to people needing antihistamines, vitamin C is also an antihis without any of the side effects of medicinal ones. Somewhat slow acting and not as strong as some by I get by with it in the few weeks I have some problems.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
You are quite right, and I apologise for being a bit thoughtless in my post.

I was told when I was prescribed the epi pen that I was unlikely to actually need it for the next bad reaction I had because my history simply showed that each one was slightly worse than the last, but the Doctor would prefer that I had the option to hand, especially after the heart fluttery one.
It was a Dermatologist who told me that hospital staff try really hard not to give epinephrine unless absolutely necessary and the usual route was to give intravenous anti histamines first.

So far, I have been very fortunate and managed with anti histamines and anti inflammatories; long may that last; and I really hope you never have another occurrence.

I had bad reactions to both tetanus and flu vaccines and I'm rather dreading the covid-19 one, but Himself says I'm having it, and he'll sit beside me with the epi-pen, just in case :rolleyes3:

wasn’t meaning to make anyone feel bad, was just pointing it out for the wider benefit.

If your reactions get steadily worse then the prudent thing would be to carry an epi-pen just in case one of those reactions causes inmediate life threatening breathing difficulty etc. You are unlikely to need it but better to have and not need, than need and not have!!

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Biscuit Sir.

You know those days when it's cold, wet, so overcast that you know that if you're not set up an hour before dusk you'll need a headtorch just to sort out things ? When your hands and feet and face are frozen and you're tired to the bone, and then someone says, "The kettle's on, get the mugs out", and you mind that not only do you have tea, but you have a whole pack of Tunnock's caramel wafers tucked in a side pocket :)
Tea and a biscuit; yeah, that works :cool: Chocolate, chewy caramel toffee, crunchy thin layers of wafer....manna :)

Reactions: henchy3rd and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE