Washing machine fire pit

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
The washing machine broke last week so I had the perfect opportunity to make a fire pit, something I've wanted to make for an while! Might have a test fire later.
Just need some expanded mesh now to put a pan on to roast some chestnuts :D

Has anyone else made one of these? If so let's see your pics!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420895649437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420895649437.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 116

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Aye, me and a mate threw one together a few years ago, not sure if you can see it but at the top there's three bolts sticking out so it holds a wok slightly raised as well.
DSC01198.jpg

It unthreads from its three legged stand so fits into a car boot and you can sit close and warm your feet underneath it.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not uncommon in a resort village where I had a summer house for many years.
Sure brings back memories of late nights and visiting.

Most people put 2+" sand in the bottom. Good plan to run a modest first fire to "burn it out."
You will see much more sparks and coals fall out than you expect. Need some floor protection, 6' circle at least.
But there are some outstanding advantages unlike a campfire on the ground.
Find a discarded oven rack or two for a top grate. Ease for cooking.
Radiant heat from the sides. Less smoke to stare down into.
On the down side, much more vulnerable to breezes and wind.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not uncommon in a resort village where I had a summer house for many years.
Sure brings back memories of late nights and visiting.

Most people put 2+" sand in the bottom. Good plan to run a modest first fire to "burn it out."
You will see much more sparks and coals fall out than you expect. Need some floor protection, 6' circle at least.
But there are some outstanding advantages unlike a campfire on the ground.
Find a discarded oven rack or two for a top grate. Ease for cooking.
Radiant heat from the sides. Less smoke to stare down into.
On the down side, much more vulnerable to breezes and wind.

Some of them (like the one we used) don't have holes in the back (which becomes the bottom when its made into a firepit thing so its a lot less leaky than some.
Ours didn't leak sparks out the bottom and to be fair to it was fairly good at the smoke going up instead of sideways. Nothings perfect mind and every once in a while there's the facefull of smoke.
Can't remember the make of washing machine we started out with though so its not a great help. Ours also didn't have placky paddles inside which some do and need to be removed or burnt out.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's far better performance than I expected.
I only ever sat by ones on bare earth and they were messy.
Nice place to cook simple food, too. Neighbors had cast iron paddle/cup things on long handles to do toasted cheese sandwiches in.
Then a different shape to be loaded with cracker-like thin cookies called Graham wafers, marshmallows and chocolate.
Hotter than lava, they cooled quickly in a chilly evening. "Smore" was the name, I think.
Bet you can't stop at just one!

Believe that you might see them in the home section of the online Cabela's catalog.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Here's mine, it came from our Hotpoint (it was one of the 7~8Kg load ones) and doesn't have any holes in the back.

I was luck enough to find this BBQ skillet in a charity shop that with a little work will fit over the hole.

and here it is in it's full glory.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE