Washing Machine Drum

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I used an old washing machine drum as a hobo burner on the weekend camp I have just been on.
Excellent for cooking but the only complaint I have is that some of the holes in the bottom lets the embers out so it's hard to build up a proper fire - since it doesn't let the heat out the side it really can't replace an open fire - but it is a good way of getting rid of limescale that calgon never thought of!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I'm glad you posted this.........I too have an old washing machine, which I was intending making the the drum into a burner/stove for bigger camp meets......

So at least I now know it's worth trying..............cheers

Smoggy.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I would say that for cooking it compares very well with other some foldable boxes but the downside is that some embers fall through the bottom so a piece of metal underneath helps, also it's obviously very bulky but very nice to sit around and cook on larger camps - certainly brings a litre of water to a boil in about two minutes.
Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures,

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Thanks Crafty. I'm happy with that. I should have thought it through!

Definitely going to try it and annoy the GF. Perhaps if I recruit her to try the dutch oven at the same time for a fancy stew? Mmmmmmmm.
G:headbang:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We went to a campsite in Kent last summer that only allowed 5 tents on. Each pitch had a washing machine drum on it as a fire bowl. Even better, the site owner coppiced a few woodlands for a living and supplied firewood for free!

Had a great time there, very peaceful.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mad Dave posted this pic a while ago

1799615965_3d5255f791.jpg

It's shame we can't see the bottom but I reckon a decent fabrocator should be able to knock up a steel tray with legs on for a few quid.

Hope you dont't mind Dave

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We used three long metal edges with holes in (they came from inside the machine as the support casing for the inside). Simply attched them as legs with bolts and washers. Very good fire for a large group. The legs put the base about 20cm above the ground, and we found even on drought effected grass it rarely drop embers that were hot enough to cause a problem. I haven't got picture, sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE