Was in the garden when this Dragonfly attacked....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
OK so it didn't attack me but i heard this massive buzzing and a thud as it landed on the wall of the garage. :eek: So i grabbed my phone and took a snap shot.

I was intreged as I've never seen one as large as this http://www.acc-systems.dsl.pipex.com//images/photos/myphotos/DSC00052.JPG around here in hampshire. (As you can see it is the same length as the width of a house brick.

Using the http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/home.htm site I think I've identified it as a Aeshna cyanea - Southern Hawker.

Just thought I'd share it with you all coz i'm nice like that :D

Take care.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
its a stunner! they're superb arent they, perfected over 65 million years ago. if it aint broke, dont fix it eh.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Great picture.I love watching them hunting.
If you stand still and hold your hand up they will occasionally sit on it. :cool:

You do look a bit silly though,so try to avoid being seen. :rolleyes:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
great picture mate.. i have been seeing loads of big ones this year, last year i noticed hardly any and many damselflys, but this year they have been so big i have seent them flying up the roads ahead of the car, and hardly any damselflys.. :D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
How about this then?, not a dragonfly something just a little bigger :eek: , i was in the garden enjoying a beer and it landed on my pond - i was amazed, got loads of great shots, mind you the cockateils it was eyeing up in the avary weren't as impressed as i was :rolleyes:

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
thats a hell of a shot! lucky you had a camera to hand eh.

reiver, sod looking silly. sometimes get them resting on the kayaks and evry time its special. they are one of the top hunters on the plannet

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
R-J said:
thats a hell of a shot! lucky you had a camera to hand eh.

reiver, sod looking silly. sometimes get them resting on the kayaks and evry time its special. they are one of the top hunters on the plannet

I had been taking pics of the plants & flowers with my macro lens, so the camera was on the table, all i had to do was quietly and quickly change the lens.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
andyn said:
WOW, yeah that is a tad bigger :eek:

Very impressive.

I take it that unlike me, you weren't 10 inches away from it? And were sensible enough to use a lens. :D

Was about 10-15ft away

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE