Wanted; wax to re-wax a jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hi all

I'm after just enough wax to re-do an old wax jacket. I have no searin free parrafin wax and I no longer have any beeswax so making my own is currently out of the question.

I'm brassic right now but have gear to trade. If anyone has some spare wax that's suitable pm me and we can go from there. I'm after the stuff that won't stiffen the material, the Greenland type.

Cheers, Chad

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ya I suppose you're right,I was coming up with a tenner a tin when searching,a piece of wax would cost little to send and I can ship for free. I might as well just get er done properly though...

sumpy00

May 30, 2011
King's Lynn
Would a bit of beeswax be any good to you or do you need to blend it?
I can break a bit off my block and post if that helps.
Rob.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
It needs blending with parrafin wax, 10% beeswax, 90% parrafin I believe. I'll just get a tin of Barbour but thanks for the offer Rob!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
For about £10 / £12you can make a fair bit pure bees wax £6 boiled linseed oil £2.99 gum tree turps about £3.99... You tube for amounts and process dead easy.....

sumpy00

May 30, 2011
King's Lynn
Sasquatch no worries, offer still stands, just pm if you want some.
Tommy, sounds interesting, i think i might check out you tube for blending.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I've said it before, my brother used the rinds of Dutch cheese dissolved in paraffin to wax a jacket. It works apparently, but you will have to eat a lot of cheese.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I've said it before, my brother used the rinds of Dutch cheese dissolved in paraffin to wax a jacket. It works apparently, but you will have to eat a lot of cheese.

Was there any lingering smell? I would be afraid of attracting mice!

Z

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey Chad spent forever searching the boat for my block of greenland wax yesterday for you, Fionn then comes home and tells me it's in the car. I proofed my snow smock and lavvuu with it and still have loads left. PM me and i'll send you a chunk when i find it later

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/4BAHx0KBpT4
This will be the least smelly of your options!!! The natural gum turps smells very little bit piney can be bought from art suppliers as they use it for thinning oil paints.... Hope this helps d

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE