Wanted: Swiss trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Anyone have a genuine swiss army trangia stove they are looking to move on please?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think they issued two or three different versions, different sizes and thicknesses of the Aluminium.

The one I was issued with was very small, had much thinner walls, and had a couple extra features.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So one of these?
SVSBL%2001_zpsi3qk7jt6.jpg

Except that they don't call this a Trangia. As near as I can tell, there are Swedish Trangias, and Swiss Volcano Stoves, but what does a Swiss Trangia look like?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Trangia is purely a swedish product and only made in Sweden.
All other stoves are alcohol stoves, volcano stoves or whatever name except Trangia.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Optimus ( another blue blooded Swedish quality product) also used to make stoves which are 99% like Trangias. The burner thread is even exactly the same as on the 'real' Trangia burner.

I never understood if they were made under license from Trangia but I assume so.

Trangia was (and is) a small manufacture, and I think when the Swedish army restructured and modernized in the late 60's they just could not produce enough to fulfill the orders. They made huge amounts of the differently sized kits, from the special one my unit used to the Infantery sized one.

I do not know about the attrition rate of the Trangias in other units, but I think about a tenth had to be fully after a weeklong stint in the nature. Maybe 50% needed something replaced.

Reactions: jimbo75

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
So one of these?

Except that they don't call this a Trangia. As near as I can tell, there are Swedish Trangias, and Swiss Volcano Stoves, but what does a Swiss Trangia look like?

That is interesting, I bought the flask and stand at a boot fair last week but the brass bit and the cup were not with it. So is it a Swiss volcano?

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
1912 swiss army tested own alcohol stove set for Gamelle similar to Trangia,
https://www.armeemuseum.ch/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Bulletin_VSAM_d_3-10.pdf
and Borde Stove Flask Feldflaschen Kocher Swiss patent with M32 Sigg Army Water Bottle. Was too heavy and unpractical, replaced by Schweizer Armee Notkocher 71.
Alcohol canister was integrated on the bottom to the windscreen and alcohol stove similar to Trangia. This is a very rare experimental set not really used, Borde Stove Flask was more popular hard to find today and too expensive for one alu windshield.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So one of these?

We shouldn’t have to be guessing at it, a link or pic would go a long way.

I’d imagine he’s on about the Rocket stove, but Trangia is a brand and Swedish. There isn’t a Swiss version as far as I know.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Thanks for all the info guys. Im after the standard alcohol stove- never knew all the other versions existed! I have a chinese copy but would love a original one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So you are looking for a Trangia then. Remember, look out for an Optimus also. It gives you a good chance to find a good one!

As far as I know, ( which is not much :) the Optimus version came only in the larger, 1-2 person, version, and was made from a mid thickness Aluminium, but the inside of the pots is more polished than the Trangia originals.
I have got one. Dad got it in -72 or -73, we used it on all our Scandinavian nature experiences!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
So one of these?

What is the burner in the front there? I know you can fit a trangia in the Swiss stove, but it is far from ideal as it is not easy to get in or out.

Optimus ( another blue blooded Swedish quality product) also used to make stoves which are 99% like Trangias. The burner thread is even exactly the same as on the 'real' Trangia burner.

I never understood if they were made under license from Trangia but I assume so.

Trangia was (and is) a small manufacture, and I think when the Swedish army restructured and modernized in the late 60's they just could not produce enough to fulfill the orders. They made huge amounts of the differently sized kits, from the special one my unit used to the Infantery sized one.

I do not know about the attrition rate of the Trangias in other units, but I think about a tenth had to be fully after a weeklong stint in the nature. Maybe 50% needed something replaced.

This is very interesting... I'm looking for an Optimus version of a trangia meths/fuel burner. I haven't been able to locate any information pictures etc.
I understand the new soldier cook kit for the Swedish army has one as part of the Optimus stove and accessories, as issued to troops.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is the new stuff. The one we were issued in my unit is basically what is called Trangia Mini today, I think.

It was called ’Enmanskök Jägare’. I do not remember the M number. The pots taper towards the bottom, and everything is made from a very thin and soft Aluminium .
The one I kept since is made by Trangia.

Reactions: jimbo75

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE