wanted: neck knive for tropics

it has been some month since i last got a chance to visit BCUK, as internet is currently a rare luxury for me, so in case it has recently been asked i ask for your patience...:

i'm looking for a neck knive to replace my pocketknife as an EDC(!!! i'm NOT in the uk!!!so i'm fine from the legal point...). however, as i spent a lot of time in humid and hot climates(korea in summer, new zealand, tropical north of god's own country(OZ))- read: humidity up to nearly 100%(= lots of moisture and sweating), temperatures up to 48degrees celsius or even more in the shade(i worked in the sun that day...) and matching intensity of UV-rays(=plastics age very quick)- which are a bit challenging for materials. means the blade, handle and sheath have to withstand those conditions and carbon steel and leather are out of question... .can anyone recommend me a knive suitable for these conditions(and reasonly priced)?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it depends on the size / shape that you want, are you after a full size blade or just somthing small?????

im sure you could get a maker to make a blade for you, with mabe an ally handle pinned with ally or brass or another metal (that wont rust) handle.....

some more details would really help..

regards.

chris...

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I use an Izula as a neck knife but the carbon may not be good in the wet. I also borrow my wifes WM1 and highly recommend it as handle and sheath will not rot. Don,t tell her I use it though!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Pict of this forum uses a Newt Livesay NRGS as a neck knife, I have never seen one in the flesh but it looks like it may fit the bill...

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

I believe they sell for around sixty dollars US.

How did your pocket knife and other tools survive the summer? Were they badly damaged?

:)

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Just wait until January for my new neck knife, Fox COMPSO

Is a 3 mm thick knife in 12C27 steel.
I used this prototype since past June and at the sea 3 weeks (kayaking, snorkeling, fishing), it's work really well.

Fallkniven WM1 it's anoter great tool, I own one and it's one of my preferred neck knives.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Another vote for the WM1. The VG10 steel makes it the ideal choice for humid conditions.

Ive had the Izula and BK14. Theyre both nice knives. The BK14 is a bit better IMO because it has a bigger blade. But theyre both 1095 steel, which rusts easily if not maintained.

How did your pocket knife and other tools survive the summer? Were they badly damaged?

:)

my pocketknife is a "victorinox" (not sure which model)- no problems with rust, but it tends to fall out of my pockets+ requires some care with dirt getting into it... my skinning knife is supposed to be stainless, too, but...... .my parang is carbon steel so it's happy about some oil!

lot's of valuable advice- fallkniven WM1 sounds good to me, see if i can find a dealer in new zealand...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE