Wanted horse hair!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Dear all
I'm looking for, well quite a bit, of horse hair, anything except mares tail hair as unfortunately it rots even after cleaning due to what's been absorbed.

Happy to pay postage, buy, swap, or bless for the stuff.

Some I want for making line ( for things like horse hair sieves ) but most for the non bushy making of trees and bushes in 28mm scale for my sons wargames table.

I've just made at least 50oz of clump foliage in 18 shades of green by attacking upholstery foam padding with a blender and will be getting the wire tomorrow but I really need a few pounds of horse hair.

From my previous posts tha can guess what sort of stuff I have to swap.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If none turns up Tom, I'm on a felting course this weekend and I need to burrow out stuff from boxes in a cupboard. In beside the felting wools/tools is a box of fibre samples. I don't think there's horse hair in them, but there is coarse goat and highland cow.
If any of those are likely to be of use you are more than welcome to them. I have no intention of demonstrating the range of fibres again so these are needing cleared out.

atb,
M

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hey Tom,

Would coat hair do for the making of trees? I have friends who breed Icelandics, who have shaggy coats and shed loads of the stuff, but the hair is finer than mane or tail hair and not above 2 inches long.

Nic.

Dear all
I'm looking for, well quite a bit, of horse hair, anything except mares tail hair as unfortunately it rots even after cleaning due to what's been absorbed.

Happy to pay postage, buy, swap, or bless for the stuff.

Some I want for making line ( for things like horse hair sieves ) but most for the non bushy making of trees and bushes in 28mm scale for my sons wargames table.

I've just made at least 50oz of clump foliage in 18 shades of green by attacking upholstery foam padding with a blender and will be getting the wire tomorrow but I really need a few pounds of horse hair.

From my previous posts tha can guess what sort of stuff I have to swap.

ATB

Tom

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
You are unlikely to get any lengths of horse hair. You may get some short bits when someone pulls a mane but in general practice people don't chop off their horses tails.
The best place to get some is to contact your local hunt or abattoir.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I have access to some horsehair, and can send to you if it is legal to send horsehair in to GB?

Do you want hair from the fur/coat, or from the mane/tail? And what length would you prefer?
To bad I didn´t know this 2 weeks ago, cause I hogged one of my horses then, and the hair went into the bin...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE