WANTED: External Frame Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Greetings All,

Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a good, sturdy external frame bergen? Web addresses, recommended outlets, mail-order, contact numbers, and ideas whatsoever gratefully received! (seem to be turning a blank everywhere I go ... and plenty of jokes about checking my local jumble sale!). Genuine advice only please.

Cheers,

G

G

Ginja

Hello mate - I'm looking for something in the region of 65 - 80 litres (ie. not too big, but too small either). If you can suggest any model names/types, that would be really useful to aid my search. But you're recommendation of Swedish army packs is a good start anyway! Many thanks. G

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Haglöfs makes a 60 litres frame pack and you can strap a pack bag (dry bag), day pack or a tent or similar under it.

2120pb.jpg

G

Ginja

Viking / Womble - many, many thanks for your good advice - very helpful and much appreciated! I'll let you know what I opt for once I've made my mind up (trying to take my time over this to be sure!). Cheers G

G

Ginja

Just a quick post to let you know that after much deliberation, I've decided to splash my cash on a Haglöfs external frame pack (cheers for the tip Viking) - perfect for my needs, very hard wearing (or so I'm told), though a wee bit pricey - guess you get what you pay for! If anyone is interested, there seems to be only one UK dealer for the Haglöfs packs I'm looking at (the Alaska and the Skarja X). They're called Country Innovation and can be contacted on 01934 877 333.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ginja,
I use an External Framed Bergen, its my own design and covers all my carrying needs (any loads from 10 - 150 ltrs), I made it myself.
If you take a look at the Haglofs pack (Skarga ? I think) and the £15 Karrimor, you will see the basic design is the same, the only difference is the pocket configuration.
Haglofs probably use Du Pont Cordura as their fabric, which you too can buy from Pointnorth fabrics (you would need just over a metre).
I would buy the Karrimor, £15 gets you a good frame and the old pack becomes your pattern, taking it to peices gives you a lesson in how to make a pack. You can put pockets & sleeves anywhere you like this way.
Hope this gives you some food for thaught.
If you want to see mine I'll have the whole system at the Meet-Up in Wales.
Neil1

leon-1

I have used Neil1's bergan and it's pretty good. I currently own an ALCE pack which is good for a jungle enviroment, but can take some getting used to :)

If you have the time and facilities to make a framed bergan I would say go for it, remember keep it simple. :eek:):

G

Ginja

Neil / Leon - cheers lads, you've got me thinking now! Hmm. Am very tempted by the idea of building my own pack ... never even considered that as an option before. Good to hear (Neil) that you've done it yourself and are happy with the results. I'm sure it's a lot more satisfying than using a factory-made pack, and I guess you can modify the design to suit your own needs. I also have a friend who's a dab hand at sewing and would be able to help out, if I get stuck. Thanks again for planting that seed of thought in my head - I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers, G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE