Wanderingstar underblanket failure...

Well I'm just back from a long weekend away up North and used my underblanket and two of the elastic cords snapped while putting the underblanket up. (my wife and I each use one and they are both used by each of us, the other so far has held, but...) The crazy thing is, these were under very little tension at the time and showed very little sign of wear and tear. I use the underblanket regularly and it is well looked after but even so this was a catastrophic failure that should not have happened so soon.

(before anyone pipes up with the obvious misinterpretation, the underblankets were Never overtightened and no excess pressure was excerted on them by the hammock user!)

I can only conclude that the elastic cord used is not tough enough for regular use and that web loops on the ends of the underblanket where one could attach new cords would have been a better option, unfortunatly the cords in this case are sewn into a seam.

Other than that it is a good design yet I'm still dissapointed at a failure like this so soon.

w00dsmoke

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Out of interest, did you use the shock cords to suspend the underblanket or just rig them up to tighten it up?

I've not used mine for a while, but when I did I always used static cord to suspend most of the weight, and just rigged up the elastic for tightening purposes.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There are a couple of things I'd do to make it a bit better. A shock cord running along each end that culd cinch the end up would be ideal. I've found that sometimes, the ends flap open a bit and it does allow a draught if the hammock is orientated by some chance towards the prevailing wind. No fart jokes please!

I'd definitely put loops on the underblanket where the shock cords are sewn in so that they could be easily replaced by the user in the field. But apart from that, they are sound bits of kit. I'd give Snugpak a ring, they are a decent company, the fact that I have bought from them for years proves that. If they were carp, I wouldn't have gone back to them.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have used my underblanket a lot (the one I got from the group buy) I now have no inner cords at all on it, I only have the outer cords... I have found that I actually only need the outer cords for the underblanket to work... All the inner cords pulled out of the blanket one by one.
If the outer ones snap, I will proberbly replace them with paracord, leave it loose and then pull it tight once in the hammock... I have been working away from home and have been relying on my hammock as I am sleeping on the job.
Love the underblanket as I do the hammock...

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have only just found this thread, while looking for something else. I really do wish you had spoken to me about this. I am truly sorry you have had problems with inner shock cords. As Lurch says, if there are problems/ faults I want to know. If you both PM me with your problems I will take this up with Snugpak immediatly.
If there are any more problems, PLEASE get in touch with me. I can't do anything about faults or problems if I don't know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE