Walnut handle for my Fieldcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Hello folks, I think this is my first post on this forum so I hope it's in the right place!

I thought I’d just share a little project I’m up to at the moment. I got a wonderful Fieldcrafter blank for Christmas from the wife which I’m even more glad to have got my hands on one now that Matt has stopped making them. It really is a wonderful blade! Anyway, I’m sure you’re all aware of the quality of these knives so I won’t ramble on too much about them, but if you haven’t got one and ever get the chance to own one, do it! You won’t be disappointed.
My next problem was how to choose what to make the handle scales out of, so many choices! Micarta always looks good in a utilitarian kind of way, the Corian stone effect ones the Matt was offering were very nice indeed too! (I nearly bought a white one in his end of shop mad sale!) But as my knife is hopefully going to be something that I can pass on to my son in some very distant year I thought I’d go for a classic look. For this I chose English Walnut, classy and classic I hope it’ll be a fitting finish to this fantastic blade. This also means when I get some nice walnut furniture for my rifle they will be a matching pair.
I found some nice looking pieces of wood from an eBay seller for a reasonable price and a few days later they landed through my door. Happily they look as nice in real life as on the advert so I pleased.

Not so happily they were very rough cut and had deep gouging all over, one was also slightly warped. Oh well, no bother, nothing that some elbow grease wouldn’t sort out! So tonight I’ve made a start. First job was to prep the sides that will be bonded to the tang as they were far from ready. So I sat down in from of an episode of Ray Mears (seemed appropriate!) with some sand paper and a flat surface and set to it. The warped one took almost a whole episode of Ray passing on his knowledge to get flat but it ended up how I wanted it.
Notice opposite corners have been sanded but the middle remains rough.

The scratches in the center were very persistent!

But eventually it was made flat!

This pic shows how much bend there was. Right hand edge is original, left is sanded.

The second block took nowhere near as long and before long I could sketch out where I’d like to cut the scales from, making the most of the pattern and avoiding as many problematic bits of the wood as possible.

Well, that’s enough for tonight, I’ll keep you posted as things progress. Thanks for reading, if anyone has any tips I’d be more than happy to receive them. I’ve done my research but this is the first time I’ve made knife scales, here’s hoping they turn out ok! Later this year I hope to try the whole process and make some blades from some files I have saved for the purpose.

Jim

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
UPDATE... it's finished!!!

tonight I got some man cave time so wasted no time in cracking on with the knife handle. It's not perfect, mistakes were made and lessons learned. But for a first go I really rather chuffed with it! it fits beautifully in my hand, so comfortable. Can't wait to try it out in anger and see if it's still as comfy.

feedback welcomed both positive and constructive.

Jim

This is after I lightly oiled it:

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Looks like you have done a brilliant job there - espeacially since it was a first attempt. Any mistakes certainly dont show in the pics. :)

It looks like it would be a joy to use too.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is truly lovely mate, I would personally give it another polish for looks, and show ^^
but the grip would suffer a bit there and it all ready looks superb.
Always love the combo of walnut and brass

Yours sincerely Ruud

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thank you for your kind words. some of the stuff I see folks making on here is truly outstanding so its very flattering to get such feedback!

Jim

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks well done mate :). Do yourself a favour though and take some more pics outside in daylight. Indoor pics at night always let the knife down. :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Looks very fine.Your heirs will be thanking you for doing such a good job many years from now.
Walnut definitely a better choice than white Corian I'd say.Looks just right.
Take HillBill's advice & do some photos outside.Should look superb in daylight.
Cheers, Simon

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just found this, and me likey! That's a classy job there, walnut and brass are classic, and typically a fine example of British understated style..............Top Notch!

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Good tip on the pictures front. I must admit it was late when I finished it and the excitement got the better of me, so phone camera and indoors it was. I'll get some better pics with a proper camera tomorrow.

Just out of interest, what glue do most of you use when fixing scales to knives? I used heavy duty Araldite epoxy, but it was very thick and left a very very thin layer just visible in some places. Any better options? Heard of folks using gorilla glue but that quite 'foamy' I think.

Cheers,

Jim

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use Zpoxy. used to use Araldite, but as i use a lot of it, the Zpoxy is by far the most economical option for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE