wall tent stove for tapp varrie 7

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
lads i am frustrated after trying several companies in the states to purchase one of the titanium stove kits ,i have emailed them several times but nothing back ,the only one that did email was after $200 something to deliver ,this is lightweight titanium as well ?.i was hoping to get one of these stoves for winter coming this was part of the reason to buy a tapp varrie 7.does any of you good lads have any suggestions,or links or even better does anyone have one to sell in the uk.any help on this one would be appreciated.cheers

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
gill said:
lads i am frustrated after trying several companies in the states to purchase one of the titanium stove kits ,i have emailed them several times but nothing back ,the only one that did email was after $200 something to deliver ,this is lightweight titanium as well ?.i was hoping to get one of these stoves for winter coming this was part of the reason to buy a tapp varrie 7.does any of you good lads have any suggestions,or links or even better does anyone have one to sell in the uk.any help on this one would be appreciated.cheers

Hi mate,
Why dont you draw up a sketch or snatch a screen shot of those stoves you like and go to a local welder and let the thing be made for you. You could put an add in the newpaper saying that you look for a person welding something for you, you might get it even cheaper that way. You could contact a school where they teach welding, they often do cheap but good jobs too.

yours
Abbe

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Gill, did you get my PM with the contact details of a guy who makes them in this country? PM me if you want more info.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
yes i got it led although the stoves he makes look great ,i think they are too heavy for what i need .he was not sure what to use for a chimney?i fancied the titanium version you get in the us simply for the weight and ease of transporting,ie i am looking to take this by canoe and car etc.abbe thanks for the advice mate i have thought about this idea i work with welders every day and my wife works at the local college where they teach welding but again the weight and trying to source all the materials especially for the chimney which i see as being the biggest problem i think the stove itself would be easy but again it has to be airtight for maximum burn etc,so for what i need i would prefer a titanium version.thanks for the feedback lads

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Gill, I see what you're after now. Sounds very much like the Ti stove is what you need. Perhaps you ought to ask one of our US or Canadian members if they could help you out?

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hi gill
is it like the stove mmniven made and showed pics of on the diy and trad skills section of the forum?if so the chimney could be made of thin stainless steel that can be rolled up along its length for transporting or rolled along its width as a chimney. think i saw a explanatory drawing on tentipi site .

tom

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I think the one you're thinking of is the Kifaru Chimney, which looks quite neat. Someone was saying it's quite fiddly to set up at first, but gets easier.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi

I recently put up a thread about a stove i made myself having already bought a kifaru stove and realising its limitations with burn times. I also emailed the US about having a stove sent over and i got a reply from one shop saying that they were too busy with the start of the hunting season to be bothered with the hassle of packing up a stove for the UK ???? they must be really busy to turn away business like that ........
Anyway the stove i made weighs in at around 9 lbs which may be heavier than what you are after, saying that i did carry it in quite easily, in a seperate bag, over 1 mile of rough terrian in the cairngorms the other week with a 5 stone rucksac on my back so it is not as bad as you might think. It is possible to have an air tight stove made without welding it is all down the the joints and using hem folds and slotting it all together. The kifaru chimney would be easy enough to make if you can get a supplier for the stainless foil.
If you are interested in making any of the above let me know if i can be of any help, i can send you dimensions for the kifaru chimney if that is any help.
Good luck with the project, i found making the stove good fun and very rewarding especially when it produced so much heat.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How thick is that stainless steel sheet they use on that chimney?

Just looking on RS and they do 500m by 300m stainless sheets at 0.5mm thick.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi
The chimney steel is alot thinner than that, just measured mine and it is 0.1mm.
I recon a steel supplier should be able to get it, i am going to try a local supplier and see what they say as i quite fancy making up a longer chimney. I will let you know how i get on.

Michael

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi gill :)
it's a real shame nobody seems willing to ship from the states, i'm after a stove too, but i hadn't figured on the problems you've been having, who have you tried ? I've found some possible suppliers, all in the u.s.(and probably the same ones you've already tried) but i haven't contacted them yet so i dont know if they're any good. let me know if you want more links to the u.s and i'll see what i've got.
I've been back and forth between putting some money aside and buying from the states or attempting to make or commission something like the one mmcniven has made, which looks ideal. I was worried about even attempting it without the chimney, but making a foil copy of the kifaru one sounds ideal to me, if the material can be found. It appears that alot of the stove suppliers, including kifaru, also sell the chimneys seperately, so there's always that as a possibility, if the option of making a foil one doesn't work out.
I hope you find something soon mate and keep us posted if you do:)
cheers

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I suppose the other option is to see if there is anyone else on BCUK who lives in the States and who would be willing to buy a chimney from Kifaru and post it over to you.

I enquired about buying some chimneys from Kifaru in the past and they would supply no problem - only the shipping and handling fees they wanted made it too expensive.

They dont weigh very much so I doubt postage would cost much.

Here's part of the e-mail that Kifaru sent me last year.

I can make stove pipes in 3", 3 1/2"
and 4" diameters. I also have a retrofit stove pipe
with collar and spark arrestors that only comes in a
4" diameter. If you want to use a retro fit stove
pipe they are as follows..

4"x48" $71.00 USD
4"x71" $92.00 USD
4"x94" $113.00 USD
4"x114" $134.00 USD

I can make pipes in other sizes like 3" or 3 1/2"
without collars and spark arrestors, they are usually
about $10.00 USD a foot. I hope that I have answered
all of your questions and if you have any more please
feel free to ask.

David McConathy
Kifaru Int.

George

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I recently emailed Kifaru about getting a longer chimney and they quoted me $90 including shipping for i think it was around 81" long. I thought that was very good. You would still have to pay import tax which would only be on $70 for the chimney so shouldnt cost that much.
I have been looking about for some stainless foil but drawn a blank so far.

Michael

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Something i did note about the shipping costs for a stove from the US was how much more than the prices quoted on the USPS website they were charging. The charge quoted on the USPS website for a 15 pound stove to the UK was something like $70, yet every company i emailed quoted over $120, i dont know what is going on there, $70 seems ok, i would be interested in finding out why all the companies are charging the extra $50+...........?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Hi,
could be they are "guess-timating" rather than actually costing it? I do know that you can get charged for weight or volume of parcel, depending on which is greater, so that might be effecting the price?
I just did a google on stainless steel foil in uk and came up with a few, i'm not entirely sure what i'm looking for though, are any of these any good?

http://www.knight-group.co.uk/
http://www.hollinbrow.co.uk/stainlesssteelfoil.htm

The knight group seem to do various kinds of stainless foil in thicknesses of 0.025 to 3.0 mm, i'm just not sure which would suit a chimney.
kifaru list their chimney as .004 tempered stainless steel foil (0.0039 inches = 0.1mm i think) if thats any help. :)

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi

Yes those companies both look like they can supply the steel, I was trying local suppliers but it looks like it might be better going national ........ i will measure my chinmey up and send off the sizes and see what they come back with for the cost.
Other than the steel, the chimney is held together with a bolt and wing nut at the top and wire loops down its length which will be easy enought to make.

Michael

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I got a quote from one of the companies for the stainless foil. The size required for a 3 1/2" pipe are 360mm wide x however long you want it, i asked for a 2 meter length but they seem to have quoted me for a weight of 2kg now i dont know long that is i would have to work it out. The quote was £150 which is damn expensive if it only makes one chimney but if you can get 3 or 4 out of it it would be ok. I will see if i can find out how long the length is, but at least it will be possible to get it. The price includes delivery but doesnt state if it includes VAT........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE