Walking the Minster Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm walking the Minster Way, starting Sunday afternoon, and am really excited! It goes between the two minsters in Beverley and York, which are 51 miles apart, so it'll take a good two days. I''ll be bivying by the trail, hopefully finding a place to settle down-wind of a watering hole or some other place where I'll see animals, or where I can wake up to a view of the sunrise.

On my very first wild camping night a few weeks ago I saw my first ever wild deer, and there's no going back. They don't have deer or any other wildlife on campsites, just loads of dogs!

I'll let you all know what it's like, and if I can get up to any bushcraft on the way.

Phil

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
philaw said:
I'm walking the Minster Way, starting Sunday afternoon, and am really excited! It goes between the two minsters in Beverley and York, which are 51 miles apart, so it'll take a good two days. I''ll be bivying by the trail, hopefully finding a place to settle down-wind of a watering hole or some other place where I'll see animals, or where I can wake up to a view of the sunrise.

On my very first wild camping night a few weeks ago I saw my first ever wild deer, and there's no going back. They don't have deer or any other wildlife on campsites, just loads of dogs!

I'll let you all know what it's like, and if I can get up to any bushcraft on the way.

Phil

I have fond memories of Beverley (don't ask!), but is the bar "Nelllies" still going?
If you get the chance to go into St Mary's Church in Beverley, I'd love a pic of the white rabbit, as I lost all of my pics of the place (another don't ask) and for what it's worth I preferred St Mary's to the Minster. It's a lovely Church.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher BL.

Re Nellies;

Last time I was in there, they still had the "Dalex beer engine" and the drips from this pump, had eaten through the marble serving slab.

Cor blimey, I dunno if the HSE bods have made them change the floor "flags" as yet, or got rid of that slanting table.

Dunno if they still have the mantles, but for sure I remember the gaslight in use.
Aaaaaand, I recall, as a young man, a washing line over the front of the "Yorkist" stove , with Nellies ( or p.haps one of her sisters) blue bloomers on it !

Great days.

But I was so much older then, I,m younger than that , now.

ps Will try to get pic of Rabbit.

Ceeg

Reactions: beachlover

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Ah, nostalgia :rolleyes:
I ran a Honda 250 thro' a very thorny hedge after a lunch at nellies. The farm drive just seemed shorter on the way home! It was in the early eighties before I became a pillar of the community and before the millenium when I became a warning to all :rolleyes:

Seagull said:
Wotcher BL.

Re Nellies;

Last time I was in there, they still had the "Dalex beer engine" and the drips from this pump, had eaten through the marble serving slab.

Cor blimey, I dunno if the HSE bods have made them change the floor "flags" as yet, or got rid of that slanting table.

Dunno if they still have the mantles, but for sure I remember the gaslight in use.
Aaaaaand, I recall, as a young man, a washing line over the front of the "Yorkist" stove , with Nellies ( or p.haps one of her sisters) blue bloomers on it !

Great days.

But I was so much older then, I,m younger than that , now.

ps Will try to get pic of Rabbit.

Ceeg

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Well, I think both of the churches at beverley are lovely, and the durty nellies place (call the white horse) is still going and still has gas lighting! I couldn't believe it when I saw it first. It looks like it's been decorated by a vampire; all old, junky looking stuff.

The walk went well. I really enjoyed it, and found it very satisfying. I felt like I'd conquered the world at the end and wanted congratulating by somebody. Bushcraft-wise I didn't get up to all that much because I had everything I needed with me. I stopped to look at plants and pick up a few seeds from them, and enjoyed sleeping out alone in a field with only animal noises and a mass of stars for company. The sky was so clear I almost couldn't believe it. I saw two owls and heard another one at night killing a rabbit, I think. The photos will take time because I'm old fashioned and use a film slr.

East Yorkshire has been my home my whole life, and I thought I wouldn't see much new walking through it, but I was totally wrong. The villages on this trail; Lockington, Scorborough, etc, were all beautiful. The view across the vale of York from the edge of the dales is amazing: you can see 20 miles over your whole field of view.

I learned a lot from it, too, about how little I really knew before about this sort of trip, and about how to do it differently in future. Most of all, I'll plan better. I couldn't find my sun hat because I'd left it too late getting ready, and missed out on sleep through work in the days before, which caught up with me. The first half of the journey had no shops, pubs, or anything, which also caught me out. I ended up taking some fig rolls and chocky biscuits from a nice old guy, who filled my water bottles (he lives in Bainton, and has a sign outside his house saying that he sells honey). I also did the classic thing of taking too much stuff. I don't have scales at home and packed in a hurry, so apart from leaving out excess stuff I had no way to limit weight. Also, the bag always feels light at the start! When I got back I weighed it in the chemist: 10.60kg. I carried 4L of water most of the time, and needed it, so make that 15kg. Once everything's clean I'm going to pack the non-perishables in my bag, to make the next trip easy to prepare for even at short notice, and I'll start with my sun hat.

The weight of the bag was a shocker, to be honest. My sleeping bag is only 1kg, bivy bag weighs nowt, and had a tarp instead of a tent. I didn't take much clothing or (any) food, though I had unused waterproofs. The only obviously surplus things were two collins gem books and my camera. The billy can was light and the gas stove normal sized.

I'm definitely leaving the stove behind on my next short hike, and I'd remind everybody else that's as daft as me, to keep your bag extra-light when you need to carry extra water.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Well done fellah! its something to be proud of and no mistake. :You_Rock_

I just have to ask, " how did the feet hold up ?"

For sure, I would have needed at least two, "footstops" per day.
Thats the full works, swill, talc and new socks.

Good one.

rgds
Ceeg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Glad to hear Nellie's is still going and in the same sort of state as I remember it.
It seems like you had a great trip tho' and as always there is something to learn and adapt for the next one. Living on a bit of rock 20 odd by about 15 miles at the most kind of limits the duration of hikes unless you don't mind getting dizzy, but for an old git like me it's probably for the best.
Love to see some pics when and if you digitise them.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
I've got a scanner, so I'll sort something out. I'm a discerning photographer, though, so I still have 25 frames left on the film :)

My feet didn't hold up great, because the boots I wore were a bit knackered (missing some foam padding that had dropped off the inside), but I avoided blisters by stopping after the first two miles and putting plasters/ medical tape over the red bits. That was it.

Bizarrely, I had problems from my socks. I'm a size 13, and normal socks are size 7-11, which is generally okay, but after the first day's walk my feet got swollen, and the socks constrained my ankles a little, causing a little discomfort and some red marks. That all comes under the bad planning section as well. I was prepared and expected to have some problems through going last minute on my first long walk, and that's what this is. I still learned a few things, especially that experience of travelling is not the same as experience of long-distance walking, and that ultra-light hikers have got a point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE