Walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
A while back i made a hazel walking stick with a red deer antler handle for my nan to use on the shoot. All it needs now is a ferrule and a spacer between the handle and the stick.
I hope it will last for many years and may even be handed down to me if looked after.
I want to put the year it was made on it in small writing and maybe something else, ideas ??
how would i do this ? i want it to be permenant
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
"Pyrography"

The art of writing with burny stuff :D. The clever people use a device like a soldering iron but I've seen lovely stuff done with a hot wire. Like poker work but smaller!

Check out the spoon that weaver did for me under "happiness is spoon shaped" Leon - thats the stuff

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ive seen your spoon, its a beauty. i dont have the tools to do pyrography but i suppose i could heat up a wire :)
leon

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Pyrography kits are cheap from hobby stores... I think mine was from hobbycraft... it's basically, as red says, a funky little soldering iron.

I have a few kuksas to play with at some point soon... I may post pics.

That's what I would use

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sounds like pyrography is what im going to do then. will try and get a kit soon
leon

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
sounds like pyrography is what im going to do then. will try and get a kit soon
leon

Leon I made my own woth a metal coat hanger and a piece of ash twig which i heat on a small gas stove total coat £0.00 and about 10 minutes work. I sanded the end round and it works OK.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
think i'll give that a go, is the coathanger pushed into the wood ?
thanks for the idea
leon

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
think i'll give that a go, is the coathanger pushed into the wood ?
thanks for the idea
leon

Leon
I drilled the wood and glued it in place and sanded the wood to shape but it could be done much simpler as you suggest I would say.
The metal heats faster in the tip of the flame and I would mark out the work in pencil first.
Practice on some scraps abviously.
A Pyrography pen would be more consistent but you can have a go like this for free.
I will post a photo tomorrow when I am at home.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks, now obviosly the shorter the coat hanger was the better control you would have but how far should it stick out ?? as i dont want to set the wood on fire when heating lol
leon

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Leon
Here is pic of the tool I use and some of my work.
The spatual has been to Uni with my daughter for six months so has been used.

spatulaandwoodburningtool.jpg
[/IMG]

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thanks mate, i have just made one up, a little bit of sanding and it will be finished :D
Not sure how to heat it up though ??? will a trangia do it ???
leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Leon,

I started with a cheap soldering iron, had to file the tip to make it a better shape, but it worked fine for several years.

I bought my son a much better set for Christmas last year. That's what I use now just because it is here. But, it is much finer and more consistent. Colwood, I think is the brand.

http://www.woodburning.com/toolshop/type.asp?iType=17

But, the soldering iron you should be able to pick up for a few quid.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks mate, i have just made one up, a little bit of sanding and it will be finished :D
Not sure how to heat it up though ??? will a trangia do it ???
leon

It should do but hold the end in the tip of the flame as that is the hotest part

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE