Walking staves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 13, 2017
terra
Hi peeps
As have a back issue been using a walking stave, at the moment have two one is definitely Holly not straight .

The other not so sure as was a fresh fallen branch after storm Doris.

Now people have been saying that it's not a walking stave because it's not straight.

Is there a rule to follow or is personal preference to the shape ? .

Ps will dig out pictures later on so would like to see your staves .

Many thanks
Warpy.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you want it to be walking stave; a walking stave it is. Juliet has it,

'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
If they are seasoned then you could have ago at straightening the sticks by applying heat and pressure. I've also got a couple of wonky sticks my self so there is no harm in having them. I've just collected some hazel the other day for my self which is now in the drying process.

Mar 13, 2017
terra
The short kinked one is Holly got permission to cut that .

The longer one was a fallen stick. Not to sure what it is but hazard a guess it's willow.
57688b6d104143a7ad4b1880784feb77.jpg
2c82734615a9a72a8cc4586e22e22768.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
my stave has a long curve all the way along it a bit like a bow. its got a bit of a spring to it which i like.

i like the holly one zig zag fun.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
My buddleia stave has a curve as well, I prefer to keep the bark on but holly does have a nice white wood, tends to be a bit heavy for some though.
As long as you are happy with then is all that matters.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I dont think a walking stick has to be any specific degree of straight to be a walking stick..... If it works for you as a walking stick then it's a tool fit for its job, end of.

Enjoy using them!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What you need to do is find some Chestnut that's been coppiced. Pick the lead bud out, leaving the two below to form branches. 2 - 3 years on, perfect thumb stick. :)

Around where I live is loads of Chestnut coppice grown exclusively for sticks that are cut, peeled, bent, and then supplied to the NHS. Did a season of cutting myself a few years ago, couldn't keep up the the old boys who'd been cutting since their youth.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
What you need to do is find some Chestnut that's been coppiced. Pick the lead bud out, leaving the two below to form branches. 2 - 3 years on, perfect thumb stick. :)

Around where I live is loads of Chestnut coppice grown exclusively for sticks that are cut, peeled, bent, and then supplied to the NHS. Did a season of cutting myself a few years ago, couldn't keep up the the old boys who'd been cutting since their youth.

Nice tip about the thumb stock. Cheers

@warpedrazor The wonky stock has character i like it.

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
I believe here we call them walking sticks, hiking staffs, etc. They come in all shapes and sizes, both natural and what would be considered finished wood like ones you see in the movies and such. I'd like to post the ones I make but as of yet there's been no response to my inquiries on how to post pics from my PC to the forum as I can do in BCUSA. And if you want to see some wild looking ones, Google diamond willow walking sticks. Amazing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE